Feeling lonely

• 4 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hi all

over the past 4 years I have tried to be positive despite chemo, operations etc. Now on a parp inhibitor. Some people are on same path and others a slightly different route. It seems with breast cancer that there are so many others that you can find support groups and chances are someone is similar to you.

I have had a couple of bleak spells in the last few months. I am sick of the problems with raising my magnesium levels and hence a number of deferments. So I have sachets twice a day and little improves. I have just started on counselling with the local hospice. I sleep a lot and find it difficult to walk.

So I have come to the conclusion I am lonely. I have family but one daughter lives 200 miles away and Covid has made it difficult to see her and children as much as I would like. My best friend has dementia and is deteriorating rapidly. I used to scuba dive and it was a large part of my life. That’s gone.

So we all have our problems and I am sorry to lumber you with is. No doubt as the weather gets more springlike and I can get  medication under control I will feel more like living well with cancer- my mantra since the beginning.

oh yes I have gall stones as well but cross fingers not a problem.

feel so much for writing this so things already on the up.

love and good wishes to you all 

wx

• I am so sorry to hear you are feeling lonely. I think this weather doesn't help. It is important to talk even if it is to Macmillan. Phone friends ask for visits if necessary. Do you have a pet? They are great company. Sending you love and healing wishes xx

• Hi W

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling that way. I too live alone and it isn't fun sometimes  Whereabouts are you based? I'm in solihull, West mids. Through a bit of Internet searching I've found there are support groups for ppc and oc dotted around the country. Perhaps you could join one of those?

How about getting a dog or a cat? I'm planning on getting a pup when my chemo is finished. It's something I've thought long and hard about but I'm looking forward to it Blush if you're a dog person itd be a good way to get out and about chatting to other dog walkers x hope you feel better soon x 

• Sorry u r feeling a bit down. Everything has changed since covid and now all the restrictions are gone it’s still nothing like it was.

Having no health problems and living by yourself is hard enough sometimes but add in all the health problems you are probably not able to go out and get some exercise which I know really helps me.

I used to dive too so I know where you are coming from with that but I gave it up as I was just sooooo cold and no longer enjoying it. It’s different if the reason you can’t is your health and not ur choice. I have only just found this site yesterday and I know it will help me. Give ur self a treat wether it’s a bar of chocolate or a binge watch of ur favourite series. I hope ur feeling better soon. Weather here in Redditch today is lovely and sunny and it always makes me feel better

• Hi Divingisfun.  So sorry you are feeling low. I have had my 6 rounds of chemo and the operation to remove as much cancer as they could find. Although the operation takes a while to recover from I am now beginning to feel much better. On my next appointment with my consultant I was told they had removed a growth from outside the peritoneum so am now on a course of treatments every 3 weeks for a year to try to stop the blood vessels from feeding any residual growths. I have just turned 70 and live on my own, although i moved in with my daughter for a few weeks after my operation. I am lucky that she only lives 10 minutes away from me so that helps a lot. I started painting the canvas by numbers from Masterpeice by numbers and they are very good and pass many an enjoyable afternoon painting or reading. I hope you are feeling more positive now, especially with the warmer weather and lighter evenings. Best wishes.

ElizabethB