Just had diagnosis confirmed

• 5 replies
  • 5 subscribers

This is just to introduce myself.

I am 74 and otherwise in good health.

My diagnosis was confirmed yesterday and I will be undergoing surgery in about a month- circumcision and graft and testing the lymph nodes.

Best wishes to all who have gone through this. I am just hoping that the cancer has not spread and that I have some years of healthy life left in me.

• This sounds like a glansecomy I had my surgery in January the then 3 lymph nodes removed shortly after, please use this forum for any questions you have there will be someone who will help. I have been helping people for a while now so please ask me any questions and I will try and help. 
    I had a number of complications catheters, several infections, urinating issues but come through most of them (not all) so I can help.

it’s a scary time for you but it is the unknown that frightens you and there will be someone on this forum that has been through your issue.

Most glansectomys have issues so prepare yourself for a tough journey but we can help and prepare you what to look for.

Good luck the survival rates for penile cancer is very good but this cancer is very rare only 600 per year in uk compared to 25000 prostate.

Robert

• Hi 

I was diagnosed last November have had 3 separate surgery's same as yours sounds like, then lymph node on left side and finally total penectomy in September this year. Has been a rough year but with the right support you can come out the other side. As Robert said this is a very good place to ask questions or ask for advice I know both me and Robert will answer on our experiences. Best of luck with your operation. 

William 

• Hi Robert

It's great that there are people who have been through it and can advise me on what to expect, especially as this is such a rare cancer. I have a telephone consultation next week which I imagine will be to discuss the details of my hospital stay and procedure. Thank you in advance.

George

• Hi William

Thank you! As you say, sounds like a rough year for you but hope things will get better for you now. I'm just at the start of all this so it will be very useful to be able to draw on the experience of you and Robert.

George

• Hi George 

As I said we are all here to help each other, we all recover differently Robert has gone through things differently to I have so there is always someone here who can help you with your experiences during recovery and afterwards just don't be afraid to ask, someone will be able to help you with there experience. 

All the best William