I am new to this group

• 1 reply
  • 3 subscribers

I was first diagnosed with penile cancer in 2008 and was treated in Leeds. I the lymph nodes to my groin removed in 2011 followed by six weeks of radiotherapy. This left me with some lymphoedema. Apart from that I have led a very fully life. But I have come to realise how fortunate I have been.

I went to my GP early and he sent me to a urologist  who immediately sent to the Leeds centre at St James's, Leeds. I was operated on within six weeks of seeing my GP. 

I have become aware that this is NOT the common experience. 

I am on the National Cancer Research Institute (NCRI) penile  cancer sub group which consists mainly of surgeons, oncologists and radiotherapy consultants. It keeps an overview of research etc for the condition. 

The really big things that strike me are the delays in diagnosis and the lack of support dealing with the psychological and social impacts of this cancer. This obviously includes sexual functioning and the impact on partners and subsequently, families.

So please let me know about your experiences and thoughts.

David

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

Thanks very much for taking the time to share with this group your experiences with penile cancer. Hopefully, those following on behind will take comfort from the positives you found.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"