Hello...

• 1 reply
  • 4 subscribers

Hello, today I joined Macmillan, and I have just spent some time reading through your stories.  I find them really empowering, and I feel a lot less alone, so thank you.  It took me over three weeks after diagnoses to tell my parents, even longer to tell my friends and most people only know I have cancer.  I wish I could be more open about it to raise awareness, but I do think that day will come.

Here is my story so far…

I am 35 Years old, I found a growth under my foreskin, which I thought looked like an ulcer.  I booked an appointment with the local sexual health clinic who referred me onto a dermatologist.  After a biopsy was done, I was diagnoses with Cancer and then referred to had MRI and CT scans.  I was diagnosed with Penile Cancer at the beginning of March 2021.

I had an operation in mid-April 2021 to remove the growth which involved being circumcised.  Before the operation I received a lymphoscintigram as I was starting to get pain in my groin.  This raised concerns with the consultant, so I also had a groin dissection done to removed Lymph Nodes from both sides.  My left side was clear, but my right side had cancerous Lymph Nodes.

As some of the Lymph Nodes removed were cancerous, I then had to have a Pelvic Dissection to remove more Lymph Nodes.  This was done at the start of June 2021.  I am still waiting on the results from the Pelvic Dissection.

Unfortunately, the pain in my groin has returned over the last few days, and I am just waiting on the consultant contacting me back.

Mentally I am managing well and physically I am doing okay, considering.  The hardest part I have found is the waiting for results, although I honestly cannot fault the NHS at all.

Thank you,

G

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

It sounds like you've been through a great deal over the last few months and I'm sorry to read that you are again in pain and waiting to speak to your consultant.

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your story as I'm sure others following you will find it comforting to read. 

You are right that waiting for results is probably the hardest part of diagnosis and treatment. I am currently waiting for results on a couple of skin lesions I've had removed and I know that it could be up to 6 weeks until I hear whether they are benign or not.

I do hope that since you wrote this you have spoken to your consultant and do let us know what he says.

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"