I have just registered with Macmillan, I have started treatment

Hello,

I haven't read anything in this forum so far, I thought I would say hello before, looking for tips in the posts here.

I went to my GP in late December 2020. I was referred to a urologist who gave me the news that I had penile cancer and referred me to a consultant surgeon. Within 6 weeks I had a glansectomy and reconstruction. I have mainly been in denial that this could have happened so quickly, and to me.

I did experience a bit of discomfort, where a skin graft was taken and mostly I found the catheter really difficult to live with. It was painful trying to use it and painful when it was removed. Although the discomfort was far less than going to the dentist, which surprised me, I did imagine that I would have trouble standing up. However its been a couple of weeks and I have gone walking over the fields for about 5 miles, mowed the lawn. So the operation sounds dreadful but I have been fortunate to have come this far with not too much trouble.

The next stage for me is the sentinel node biopsy. 

I am still in denial, and although I understand that removing the cancer was necessary and I am grateful that the care from the NHS was particularly good. However it is challenging when I look at what is left of an old friend. I guess that it is going to take a bit of time to get used to it and how to make it work. I look forward to hearing about other people have coped.

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that you have recently been diagnosed with cancer and it sounds like you've had a tough time. 

I had a sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) for melanoma, so although a different type of cancer, I'm happy to tell you what was involved if you want more detail. Do you have a date yet for the SLNB?

Everyone copes differently with a cancer diagnosis and there's no right or wrong way to react. I think a lot of people can't believe it's happening/has happened to them but talking to others in this group might help.

I noticed that no one had responded to you yet so replying to you will 'bump' your post back to the top of the discussion list.

While you are waiting for replies it would be great if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Wishing you all the best

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"