36 year old male.. primary cancer low rectal, secondary cancer of the route of my wee man !!

• 1 reply
  • 4 subscribers

Hi everyone, first time posting here. So soon I'll be going for a Total pelvic exeneration ( 12 hour op) as well as some work related to the base of my penis area which will leave me without any sexual function, something which was magnified to me by the surgical team. Its all a bit scary and upsetting to be honest. It seemed to take for ever to be diagnosed and treated initially. I'm currently on pregabaline and slow release morphine tablets for the pain. I was disappointed about how long it took for me to be diagnosed and then for the cancer to have moved was a kick in the teeth.

I've completed 5 weeks of radiotherapy and chemotherapy on the first and last week but it will do no more for me now so surgery is the next answer. I believe the secondary cancer has shrunk whilst the primary hasn't reacted as they would have hoped. The operation has to remain the same unfortunately as the secondary cancer will most likely come back !!

On a plus note the cancer can be removed which will save my life, I was told if I don't have it removed then I'd possibly only have a year left... no option there then lol .

Anyway I'd just like to say hello to you all and I feel your pain guys.... its been a tough journey to date !!

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm not a member of this group but noticed that no one had come forward to say hello yet so, as I was passing, I thought I would Slight smile

As your primary cancer is rectal you might also like to join the bowel (colon and rectal) cancer group which is a much more active group than this one and I'm sure you'll find it's a great place to ask questions, share experiences and get support.

If you'd like to join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'click to join' or 'join' (depending on the device you're using) on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'. 

It would be great if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"