Urethra Cancer

• 1 reply
  • 8 subscribers

Hello cancer warriors,

I am new to this forum. I have been asked to get a biopsy done for checking if I have cancer in my urethra.

I had a cystoscopy done last week and they found “abnormal looking carpet like structures in my urothelium in my penis”.

the consultant said it is so rare that he has never seen this and wants me to go for biopsy, which happens in three weeks. Needless to say I am dead scared, more so as the consultant said they have never seen something like this before.

I am otherwise in good health. My symptoms were:

pain in bladder, urinary urgency, dribbling, burning etc. after weeks of antibiotics not working I thought it must be interstitial cystitis.

surprisingly, the cystoscopy showed nothing in the bladder or the urethra passing through the prostate…this abnormal urothelium appears at the front end.

Anyone have similar situation/diagnosis? I am feeling a bit lost now…Frowning2

• Hello MIlla2004

Welcome to the Online Community.

I hope that you do not mind me replying to your post as I had a different type of cancer to the kind you are having tests for. Hopefully by doing so it will bump your post back to the top and someone who has experience of Urethra cancer will see it and be able to offer support.

Having tests for cancer is always a worrying and stressful time and it is very natural to feel scared. If you feel like talking to someone would help then please do consider calling the Support Line- the number is below and they are lovely on there. To feel a bit lost- is totally normal and understandable. Sometimes just having someone listen to you and expressing your worries can help.

I can understand it must be scary when the consultant said that they have not seen anything like it before but it is good that you are having the necessary tests done. Hopefully the biopsy will bring the answers that you need. In my case I felt a lot better once I knew what I was dealing with. 

I hope this will now bring your post to the attention of someone who has had a similar experience who will be able to help.

I wish you well with the rest of your tests and hope that you do not have to wait too long to get the results back.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm