Hello

• 7 replies
  • 44 subscribers

I am new here and I am on the list for a Whipple procedure. 
Any advice or tips prior to surgery would be great to know. Thank you. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I can't help with advice and tips before you have a Whipple procedure, as I haven't had this, but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' your post back to the top of the discussion list again.
    I have searched the forum for previous posts which mention Whipple and found these for you to have a look through. I'm also 'tagging'  into my reply to you as they have recently had this procedure and will hopefully pop on to tell you about it.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Hesed, forgive my delay in replying but time got away from me. Obviously the whole idea of having a ‘’Whipple” is a bit mind blowing and I had mine the day the world went into the first Lockdown! I considered myself lucky to have even  got into a hospital!
    Make no mistake, it’s major surgery and takes some time to recover, but here I am and that means you can too. Try to keep your mind on a positive outcome and keep active while you wait. Ask for any help from the professionals that you need and don’t ever feel embarrassed to feel whatever you’re feeling. Take care x

• Hi Hesed.  I had the whipple’s procedure on the 04th Jan.  I would strongly recommend following any advice regarding exercises  / building up strength before the surgery.  I found this helped me in the recovery and I am sure was a key issue in my recovery.  Also try to eat as normal as you can as it does take time for your appetite to come back after surgery.   I can not speaking highly enough of the team that looked after me so I am sure you will be in good hands.   Best of luck

• Hi Alison.  Can I ask if you have chemo after the procedure and how did you find it?

• Hi Beppe….

I did have 6 months of Chemo after the operation. Mostly it made me very tired, but it was bearable. This is likely to be different with each type of Chemo, so any side effects will be discussed with you, and anti sickness medication was always available. It didn’t stop me taking exercise as long as I paced myself. I hope that helps

• Thanks that is really helpful.  Good to know that you carried on exercises. I am hoping to do the same.  

• Hi Hesed. Prior to my surgery I had stents fitted to both my bile and pancreatic ducts and prescribed Creon (PERT). This allowed me to gain some weight prior to surgery. Ask your team about PERT. If you have experienced weight loss it is likely that enzymes from your pancreas are being blocked. Your body needs enzymes to breakdown and absorb your food. Post op you will be on PERT anyway so you might aswell get started it certainly helped me. I am just about to start chemo as my biopsy post surgery came back with some positive readings. Hope all goes well with you.