Pancreatic

• 1 reply
  • 40 subscribers

Just been told today I have pancreatic cancer and there is nothing they can do. I'm so scared. 

• That is a terrible shock and one which will take a while to process,  I wish I could take away your fear.  I was diagnosed during a hospital stay to relieve me of jaundice by putting a biliary stent in. I then had pancreatitis. After a CT scan they informed me of what I had largely expected. I had already made up my mind not to have chemotherapy. This is a personal decision and should not influence you in any way.  I was told to expect around  6 months but no one really knows.  I would not trawl the internet looking for answers though you would waste the precious time you have left. The hardest thing to do is let go and give in to it but I have found it to be the best thing to do. Acceptance. Again this is a personal decision and I must stress you do have choices.  After this decision care went from the excellent and informed pancreatic care nurse who sorted out my blue badge (driving) PIP  payments - tax free income you are entitled to - to my palliative care nurse who knows everything there is to know about your cancer and the pain relieving medication they offer. You have to be brave but ultimately it’s easier and it takes away so much stress. Organise a will if you haven’t already and arrange an hour with your solicitor - it’s worth it.  Organise your funeral/cremation in a place you love. Get all of this out of the way as early as you can because it will lead to acceptance and allow you to enjoy the months that you have - it is undoubtedly really hard and you will be surprised about how brave you can be, really surprised. See your friends allow people to react how they feel they can, people are full of surprises and they are capable of so much love.  Get the difficulty of talking about out of the way you’ll get used to acknowledging it then allow your friends to be just that. Remember despite what people might say there is so much love if you’ll allow it in.  I really hope this helps if only a little and if it does I’m here.