Just been diagnosed

• 3 replies
  • 44 subscribers
  • Hi , I have just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and find the waiting he'll for procedures,  how. Is everyone else coping.
  • Hello Laurasnana

I hope you don't mind me replying as I had a different type of cancer but I saw you had not yet had a reply so am hoping it will bump your post.

I am sorry to hear that you have had a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer and I can remember how I felt with my own diagnosis of cancer last year. I remember feeling very up and down and also shocked as things had happened very quickly. If you feel like talking things through would help then I can recommend the Support Line- the number is below and they are lovely on there.

I hope that you do not have to wait for to long to find out what procedures/treatment you will be having. The waiting stage is hard but I personally found that once a plan was in place, things felt a little more in control.

I will pop a link below that has a bit of information about pancreatic cancer so you can have a look at what may happen next- if you think it would help. With my own cancer diagnosis I found that the Macmillan booklet for my kind was really helpful.

Cancer of the pancreas booklet | Macmillan Cancer Support

Hopefully someone will now see your post, but in the meantime if there is anything else you need. Please do not hesitate to ask.

I wish you well with your treatment.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you for replying and giving me the link to useful information. I don't know where this is going to end as I thought I was goingbto have an op but now having to have more scans and time us of the essence so scary. 

• It is normal to have scans (and other tests) after a diagnosis.

My own consultant said to me- it helps them determine the stage and grade and also how best to do the surgery and what/if any other treatment may be needed. I understand it is a worry when you just want to get the treatment done but it is a necessary part of it and with my own cancer- once everything was scanned and tested the surgery happened very quickly. 4 weeks from symptoms to surgery. Sometimes with the scans/testing there can be some waiting for the results but then they normally hold an MDT (multi disciplinary team meeting) where they discuss the best way ahead. They then talk to you about it all. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long to find out. 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm