New here - mum diagnosed with pancreatic cancer

• 11 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hello,

I've joined because I really feel I need to talk.

A few days ago, my mum was given a shock diagnosis of advanced metastatic pancreatic cancer. It has to be 100% confirmed by endoscopy and biopsy, but they are pretty certain from scans etc. They told her it's likely she has 6-12 months without treatment, and maybe double that with. We had no warning. She had covid a few months ago very mildly, but got bad tummy pain with it, and it didn't really go - so she went to doctor thinking she had maybe long covid, or a bad ibs flare up. None of us were expecting this kind of diagnosis.

I'm a new first time mum. Baby is only a few months old. My mum has been such an important source of support. I feel sick and like I'm floating in a fug of shock. I'm so worried about my dad too. They're so young- both only just 60.

Thank you if you've read this - it's hard to know how to process and cope with this.

• Hi, I am so sorry to hear of your mum's diagnosis, sadly my dad got his symptoms shortly after his covid vaccine in November, diagnosis Chrsitmas eve & he sadly passed on 30th January 2022. He was 66, I was 39. 

My best advise is research... 

Much love to you & your family x

• Hi Van,

Thank you for responding. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. It seems to be such a quick disease. For some reason I can't  zee your response on the forum, even though i can in my enails, but I'm hoping this gets to you somehow? When you say research, do you mean on how the disease progresses and things? Was there anywhere that had information you found helpful? Thanks 

• Hello how2cope

I'm sorry to hear your news. This is a difficult time for you all and you are correct it is difficult to cope and to process all that is going on. Having been in the same situation with my husband my advice is to first of all go with any wishes your Mum has. For example, if she wants to chat about the situation, do so. If not, don't. Also just take one day at a time.

It's amazing the amount of resilience we have at times like this.

Squeaky

• Hello squeaky, Thank you for responding to me. I'm so sorry to hear you've  been through something similar. It's  good to hear other peoples' experiences. I'll  definitely think about taking cues from mum. Its hard because at the moment I just want to talk and talk about it for some reason! My mum seems to be coping OK at the moment thankfully. 

• Hi ! I am going through this too with my mum. She had covid in July , the cough / breathlessness stayed however doctor refused to see her for months and blamed long covid. We never expected a terminal lung cancer diagnosis, especially when she has never smoked .. or doesn't even drink . She is 59 and such a huge part of mine and my little girls' lives. She was diagnosed through a CT scan / having fluid drained from her lung . We are still awaiting a biopsy . I'm not sure what advice I can give if any, but just know your not alone. x

• Hi Michelle91, 

Thank you for responding, and I'm so sorry you're in a very similar situation. It's such a nightmare isn't it. I'm here of you need to vent. I wonder how many more people will initially either themselves or their doctors assume their symptoms are a result of long covid. 

• Hi,

Firstly can I say how sorry I am to read about your mum. Believe me you are not alone.  Just 4 months ago we had the same shocking news when my mum was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer . Although she's a bit older at 74 however up until 4 months ago i can honestly say most days she had more energy than me and worked part-time still. 

As a family it shook us to the core and are dealing with it in our ways but for me I really don't think it's sunk in and immediately went into outopilot and became her main carer.  She has my dad but he's not coping to well either so he's also a major concern to me.

The whipple procedure was ruled out as she was not strong enough and her first chemo treatment had to be stopped as she picked up an infection.  Mum was adamant she wanted to try again and is now day 2 into her chemo treatment.  Fingers crossed all goes to plan and are hopes of more time together is given to us.

All we can do is take one day at a time and fill them with lots of memories. 

You are not alone and this forum is a great source of comfort to me so keep reaching out.

Turkish delight  

Tracy 

• I am so sorry to hear about your mum, sadly I lost my dad to this awful disease this year he was 66, I was 39.

I'm not going to lie, it's incredibly hard but take each day as it comes, spend as much time with her as possible, enjoy the small things & stay positive, a positive mindset can do wonders, also do lots of research there are lots of things worth trying. 

Sending hugs, stay strong. Xx

• Hi Turkish delight, I'm so sorry to hear about your mum too. It's  just so sudden isn't  it! I'm sorry it's  taken me a while to reply - thabk you for taking the time to write a response. How is your mum now? X

• Hi Van life, thank you for responding  and I'm sorry it's  taken me a while to reply. I'm sos orry to hear about your Dad. You're  right, positivity is important! We will try to keep it up