What happens if cancers do not shrink

• 19 replies
  • 45 subscribers
  1. Hi everybody, new to group.  My husband is 53 and was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in May, it has spread to liver and lymph nodes.
  2. he started chemo yesterday, folfirinix, 1 day at the hospital and 46 hours at home directly into his PICC line.  He is having 12 sessions.  Best outcome is the tumours shrink and can then be managed.  
    has anybody had the problem where the tumours hasn’t shrunk and what is next?
  3. I am hoping I can get him to eat something this week as he has had no appetite for a few months and has lost about 2.5 stone.  I have tried everything and sometimes he will have a complan.  I have told the hospital he doesn’t eat and they gave me some information of foods he could it but I can’t force it into him if he doesn’t want 
  • Hi Chelseabluegirl, thank you for your kind words, i also wish you well and your husband, the sleep issue is the same both me and my sister are finding it hard to take it all in, take care my thoughts are with you also, 

• Hello  CBG I feel your pain my husband has just started chemotherapy he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer   I a, so frightened  of what lies ahead sending love and prayers 

• hello all, just an update on my husband.  He has been signed off by the hospital and under Hospice care as there is nothing more they can do for him.  he is very confused most of the time and can get aggressive at times.  I am getting assistance from the hospice, district nurse and family/friends.  Today he needed extra meds added to his driver to try to calm him. 

it’s so upsetting to see somebody you love in pain and not the person I married almost 25 years ago. 

it’s just a waiting game now unfortunately.

ive tried to stop saying ‘what if’ but it’s so hard, as he worked for a bank before he gave in his notice in December to retire in March he should have had his annual health check but due to Covid it didn’t happen, would they have found his lump earlier?  Could they have caught it earlier before it spread i to liver and lymph nodes? who knows but i get angry that he didn’t make more effort to have his free MOT. 

• Hello Chelseabluegirl

At this time a couple of things happen. Firstly, there are the 'what ifs'. It is inevitable that we wonder what might have happened if we had done things differently.

The other thing is that in the last stages of PC people often display characteristics they didn't before and aggression can be part of it. You might find you dwell a bit on that just now but in due course you won't.

It is difficult for everyone waiting for the inevitable to happen but often we find inner strength we didn't know we had.

Squeaky

• Hello Shelia

I think you will find that you have greater strength and emotional resources than you think you have. It is frightening but you will get through it.

Squeaky

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I have Altrajuce drinks, prescribed by my GP. I tried the milk based ones such as Ensure and they just made me feel sick. The Altrajuce drinks are light and fruity. Keep them in the fridge as they are better cold. They are quite sweet but I can just about cope with the sweetness.

• Just a quick update, my husband sadly passed away on Saturday just 3 weeks after he was told that he was terminal and had weeks to live.

As soon as he was home with me he deteriorated very quickly, it was if he gave up.

I do wonder if we hadn’t been told it was weeks would the outcome be the same?  The only thing being told how long did mean that we were able to talk more the first week about what he wanted me to do in the future.

I wish you all well, take care and be strong 

• Hello Chelseabluegirl

I am sorry to hear your news. My husband was the same once he knew it was terminal. However, rather saying 'gave up' I think of it as 'letting go'. 

This is a difficult time for you and I wish you well. 

Squeaky

• I am so sorry for your loss, wishing you love and strength at this difficult time xx