Shut out

• 2 replies
  • 43 subscribers

My wife (79) was diagnosed a couple of months ago with pancreatic cancer. She has had two rounds of chemotherapy so far and is now suffering from many side effects of the treatment which is mentally and physically destroying her. For both of us, the light seams to have gone from our world. I try to stay positive and boost her morale but unfortunately I’m not succeeding. It seams that whatever I say or do is wrong and I’m finding it hard even to talk about anything without being rejected. I’m trying hard to not show how much it’s affecting me emotionally and I'm trying to stay positive around her but it’s not really helping. Any words of advice please. 

• I’m so sorry to hear about your wife. When I was first diagnosed I too shut everyone out until I’d had a chance to process what was going on. It felt like my whole world had suddenly stopped and all I could think about was the people I would leave behind. Chemotherapy was tough but I tried to focus on the fact that I was doing something positive. My Paliative Care nurse and oncologist were brilliant at managing any side effects I had and kept tweaking various tablets to make me as comfortable as possible. Throughout my husband was always by my side - just holding my hand was sometimes enough. All you can really do is just be there for her and try to be kind to yourself. Best wishes.

• Hi Muddydog, 

so sorry to hear that you and your wife are going through this.

My mum is going through Chemo at the moment which is a rollercoaster for her and my Dad.

have you reached out to any of the MacMillan nurses for support , I believe there is an option for you to chat as you need as much support as you are trying to give your wife. They may not have the answers but sometimes just being able to chat with a nonjudgmental and offload all your thoughts can be the tonic you need.

staying positive is great, however you are allowed to acknowledge that this is not a positive time - My mum appreciates this from time to time as long as we try not to dwell on it.

sending love 

Rachel