My mother recently diagnosed

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 44 subscribers

My mum is 86 and has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer just two weeks ago. We are all in shock and have no idea how long we have left with her. We know it’s inoperable. But we don’t know if we have weeks, months or years. It’s all so scary not knowing what to expect. She is home but very weak. She isn’t eating very much, is jaundiced and isn’t finding pleasure in the things she did before like watching TV or eating. My sister and I are having to help her wash. She could do all these things herself a month ago. I’m just wondering if anyone can tell us what is ahead of us. Thank you. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Julie

I’m sorry I can’t answer your question but I am in a similar position. We found out my fit and healthy and active mum (76) has pancreatic cancer that has also spread to her liver on Wednesday. She is struggling to eat also, I don’t know what is ahead but you are not alone x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you for your reply. It’s very helpful, as I strive to understand everything, to hear from someone else who is going through the same. I feel like the whole world has turned upside down. It’s such a shock. I’m so sorry for you and your situation because I know what you are feeling right now. 

• I don't post here much these days but would like to say to Julieguth and Dedsiedon that the best advice that I can give is to take one day at a time and try to do something with your mum that is enjoyable - just a phone call helps a day become good. That way you will make the best of the time, however long it is, that you have together.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Squeaky

Thank you. That is really good advice. We are trying to have some happy times each day. At the moment she has managed to come out a couple of times for a cup of tea at a cafe with lots of help and we’ve taken her for a walk in the wheelchair to look at the sea. We are looking at photos and reminiscing. I don’t know how long her ability to do these things will be, so as you said, we are taking one day at a time. 

• I also wanted to say in response to your question about what is likely to happen that pancreatic cancer progresses in different ways with different people. Therefore, it's difficult to say anything helpful. One thing I found difficult with my husband was that he didn't want to eat. I stressed myself with this and stressed him too. Try to offer small amounts of tasty food. Is your mother using creon. That helps with digestion.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Squeaky

Yes I’m finding that too. It’s so sad because my mum used to love her food. Going out for a meal or a cream tea was what she loved. Now she is taking little interest in food. We are giving her lovely fresh homemade soups and a few spoons of casserole. She’s enjoying fresh orange juice. But little and often is good advice. And yes she has Creon too, so that’s helping. Thank you, it’s so helpful to hear from others.