Coping with Pancreatic cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hi All. My hubby of 48years was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at the end of February having been rushed into A&E with a diabetic hypo. Following a CT scan we were told it was definitely Pancreatic Cancer at the head of the pancreas. An ERCP inserted a stent into his bile duct and relieved the jaundice. A brush biopsy was unsuccessful. He then underwent an EUS where a biopsy was taken. As the results from this biopsy were delayed the consultant informed us of the results of the CT scan which indicated a stage 4 cancer which had already started to encroach on blood vessels and also a spread to three lymph nodes. The consultant explained that surgery wasn’t an option but that chemo might be available if his LFT could be lowered to 20. We went away to absorb this information with a return appointment in fourteen days. During that period his abdomen swelled with fluid which our GP said were ascites. Other symptoms also developed such as chronic burping and swelling of the ankles and feet. When we attended the appointment the consultant advised that chemo would not be an option for my husband as he didn’t have good health on his side and he had already lost 4 stone in weight. He indicated that he felt that quality of life was more important now than trying to buy a couple of extra months with chemo when it could make my husband much worse from the side effects. The results of the EUS weren’t explained but my husband didn’t really want to know the finer details given the nature of the consultants advice. I have to admit that since this appointment my husband has suffered rapid deterioration. He did have his abdomen drained but it hasn’t really improved his appetite or his feeling of being permanently full. Furthermore, his voice has now become very hoarse and he has suffered some hallucinations. He isn’t in any pain because I have taken over administration of his meds and I am ensuring that he has regular pain relief. Besides trying to come to terms with a diagnosis of palliative care my husband is also  finding it difficult to cope with all these symptoms which seem to be raining in on him. I just wonder how on earth we are going to cope with the time he has left. Everything I have read would appear to indicate that he doesn’t have long. I want to make the time he has left as agreeable as possible but haven’t a clue where to start and how to comfort him. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Hi and a warm welcome to the online community

It sounds like you and your husband have had an awful lot to absorb over the last few months along with some difficult decisions to weigh up.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting that you join the supporting someone with incurable cancer group where you can share your emotions with others who will understand what you're both going through as well as discuss practical issues about palliative care. If this is something that you'd like to do clicking on the link I've created will take you there where you can join and post in the same way as you did here.

You might also like to have a look at this information from Macmillan on supporting someone. Amongst other things it has links to information on how to get both practical and emotional help.

Sending a virtual ((hug))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"