Husband recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I am new to the group as my husband was only recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. We are still trying to terms with it but thankfully, the NHS has moved quite fast and he should be having his PICC line inserted and chemo starting this week.

I have no clue what I will need at home for him to be comfortable etc. We still have not been assigned a MacMillan nurse but not sure if this is always the case with a cancer diagnosis. 

I am hoping to learn from people here and also to share, after gaining some experience in caring for him, what works for us. Take care.

Thank you

• Its not the end of the world. I have Pancreatic Cancer which has spread to the liver. I'm afraid I can't advise on chemo treatment via a line as I've been on pills. I've completed 5 cycles of pills out of 6. After 3 cycles I had a CT scan which my Oncologist said showed that the cancer had been "halted in its tracks". I now waiting for the final CT scan and to hear the results and about future check-ups, etc. My wife and I are very positive about the future.

From the point of view of advice, my problems were rather basic - bowels and fatigue. Bowels needs him to keep taking the Creon tablets - more if necessary, varying by amounts and types of food, to find the right balance. The fatigue?? I just try to keep walking the dog!

Good luck to you both.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Bazel

i am so sorry to hear of your husband’s diagnosis. My dad was recently diagnosed and is about to start his second round of chemo. I’m guessing as you have said your husband is having a PICC line put in that he may be having FOLFIRINOX? My dad decided against this and has opted for www.pancreaticcancer.org.uk/.../

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Sorry, posted way to soon!

My dad opted for gemcitabine and abraxane, so I can’t offer any advice on this.

So, the things we did not know about:

1) there is definitely a “chemo” smell, so you will be washing and changing sheets quite often.

2) your husband’s sense of taste may change, but my dad found drinking a little pineapple juice before eating helped with this. He may prefer to eat lots of small meals /snacks rather than “main” meals.

3) he will feel totally exhausted at times and may find this frustrating to deal with.

4) There will definitely be good days and bad days and this takes some getting used to - for everyone.

I wish your husband and you the very best.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I have had 11 Folfirinox treatments so far. My tumour is inoperable. The chemo is pretty brutal and the dose for mine was reduced to make it a little easier. Even so it’s been difficult but manageable. Make sure the pain is well controlled. I take Oxycodone and Pregabalin which work well. The main side effects for me have been tiredness, dizzy spells and horrific diarrhoea.The Creon is essential but taking up to 30 a day is a bit of nuisance, almost a meal in itself. Small regular meals helps and drink plenty of fluids. The only things I have bought are a shower stool for the days I am particularly tired, an electric heat pad as I get a lot of backache and a large supply of shower sleeves. I had a MacMillan nurse in the early days and she helped me sort a Blue disabled badge and claiming attendance allowance. I’m waiting for my PICC to be changed to a port as my chemo is ongoing and a port makes it easier to shower/bath plus fewer flushes required.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi Banzel

Sorry to hear of your news. My husband was diagnosed last July - chemo started August.  Hospital fantastic.  We bought a diary for us to keep a track of timings of meds (there will be a LOT) which has been really useful.  He has found vimto easier to drink than water (water tasted funny), so we have our plastic camping carafe at the side of the bed, always topped up with vimto.  Echo what others have said re food, little and often seems to be what helps.  He had a lot of nausea and sickness for the first 3 rounds so bucket  (and spare waiting!) and dettol handy.  Doctors changed anti sickness meds and that really helped.  I think his sickness was partly fear of the unknown/anxiety too.  As chemo progressed he got tingling in his hands when getting cold stuff from fridge/freezer, so he bought some gloves used by people with 'raynauds' which have proved invaluable.  Audio books have been good for him.  When he is really tired, I try and encourage him to watch some junk tv with me, just so he is downstairs with us, not by himself in bed.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  He currently finds sleeping propped up easier.  I hope some of this helps - it's all trial and error and you'll find what works for you.  

I wish you both well.