Talking to my Dad

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 44 subscribers

My father has pancreatic and liver cancer. It was diagnosed during lockdown and has progressed quickly. It's stage four. He has opted not to have chemo (tried one round, and he didn't respond well).

I've moved back into the family home for a period of time to support my parents. I am finding it difficult to talk to my Dad, as he's becoming increasingly distant and frustrated. He seems annoyed by my presence here. He's also often confused/incoherent.

He's also recently started on morphine and while this has eased the pain, it has side-effects which are linked to the above.

I wondered if people had any advice and also on what's likely to happen in the coming weeks/months?

• Hi and welcome to the online community 

I'm sorry to hear about your dad's recent diagnosis. It sounds like an incredibly tough time for the whole family.

It can be difficult to know what to say, and how to say it, when talking to someone who has cancer. You might find this information from Macmillan on what to say to someone who has cancer a useful starting point.

Your dad may also be finding it very hard to come to terms with his diagnosis, as it's still relatively early days for him, so taking a look at this information on understanding uncertainty might give you an insight into what he's possibly feeling and worrying about.

Although you say that you think your dad is annoyed by your presence I'm sure he understands that you only have his best interests at heart.

Sending a supportive ((hug))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi,  

i completely understand how you must be feeling as my dads cancer returned in may and is stage 4 also. he also started chemo for this and did one round and has decided he wont be doing anymore as it made him almost sleep for all day and all night after so its not worth it. i live with my dad as i'm 17 and i have dealt with this when he has become angry and frustrated and confused when i'm speaking to him. my dad also uses morphine to help with the pain so that is what is causing these effects. although i cant advise you on what will happen in the future as i am thinking the same i can completely sympathise with you on how hard it is. its so hard to not get upset when your dad becomes annoyed but i try to tell myself that in a sense its not him its the cancer and he wouldn't choose to act this way. please message me if you ever want someone to speak to x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hey Lauren. Thanks for your message. And I'm sorry to hear about your father. I can't imagine being 17 and being in that situation. 

Thank you for your message. And sharing your experience. I really appreciate it.

I think my Dad is near the end now. But we remain hopeful. Take each day as it comes.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thank you, this was very helpful.