Dad's long battle with PC, Mum not coping

• 3 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hi everyone, 

I thought I'd reach out as we are really struggling as a family. My Dad was diagnosed with locally advanced pancreatic cancer 3 years ago and has had chemotherapy once 3 years ago and then again currently. He's also had radiotherapy. The tumour in the pancreas is stable when he's being treated. 

We've just suddenly hit a wall because it's been such a long battle and I think we are battle weary. I hate to see him ravaged by chemotherapy and we are all constantly waiting for bad news. We were doing really well but Mum is saying she can't go on with it all much longer and strangely I've started to feel overwhelmed as well. It just never ends. Every day with him is a blessing but it's a marathon and we're tired. Any advice really welcome ...

• Hi there! 

I am so sorry to hear about everything that’s happening with your family, it truly is awful!! 
    I also struggled with feelings like this, it’s hard to keep your head above water when everything is so painfully sad! 

One way I found to cope was to take some time away, even for a day or two, it helped me regroup and re-energise, which allowed me to be there for my Mum again. I also received support from my local MacMillan centre, where I could talk about my feelings and get some advice which helped no end! 

it’s a very long journey, but don’t give up, give yourself time and get the support you need. 

max x

• Hi Max,

That was just what I needed to hear ... thank you so much. I suppose by looking after myself the best I can, I have energy for her!

It's nice to know your not alone, what a lovely forum! I will check out the MacMillan centre.

Gemma x

• Exactly that Gemma!! Stay strong and make sure you continue to live your life as hard as it is, I’m sure that would make your Dad feel stronger, and prouder as a result! 

You can do this!! 
    Max x