Squamous Cells Carcinoma of the Pancreas

• 3 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hi, a family member has been diagnosed with rare type of pancreatic cancer. It's squamous cells carcinoma of the pancreas. The pancreas is the primary source and there is no trace of cancer anywhere else in the body. Has anyone experienced this type of cancer? If so, which type of treatment did you receive for it? Thanks in advance

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I don't have this type of cancer but I noticed that you hadn't had any replies yet. I've done a search in the group and found one other person,  who has mentioned having this type of pancreatic cancer. As you will see, I have 'tagged' them into my reply to you in the hope that they'll pop on and tell you about their experineces.

It would be great if you could pop something about your family member's diagnosis and tests so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello, I was diagnosed with exactly the same thing in June 2021, apart from the surgery to remove part of my pancreas and also my spleen, there is no other treatment available. There are currently no chemotherapy treatments that would work on this rare cancer.       

Happily, I'm still around and enjoying a good quality of life. I have to go for scans and blood tests every 6 months or so to check that nothing is growing back, I'm also on medication which I will need to take for ever but on on the whole, I think I've been one of the lucky ones. Hope your relative has a good recovery, it's not all doom and gloom.  Good Luck. xx

• Hi Frobs,

Hope everything is going okay after the 5 months since you posted. So sorry to hear about your family member, my Mum suffered from squamous cell pancreatic cancer, similarly it was on the head and there were no traces of cancer elsewhere. She had a surgery and a few months of chemo which I believe was FOLFURINOX, and she’s been in remission for nearly 5 years. 

hope this helps! 

max