pain relief

• 1 reply
  • 25 subscribers

Morning all,

I hope you guys are all doing ok and coping.

My Dad has been prescribed morphine recently for ongoing chest pain stemming from his lung mets and yesterday this has been swapped to patches.

In others experiences, how did you find morphine generally for pain relief and were the patches better? I'm unsure of the actual dose, but I know the ones he'll be on are worn for a week.

What is frustrating, is that his 3 monthly CT scan has been put back- delayed- for a month which really doesn't help with finding out how things are looking and establishing where this pain is originating from.

I do understand that hospitals are so bogged down from the covid crisis and are playing catch up- but surely cancer patients need to have their treatments and tests kept on time? Esp when time may be limited.  It just causes more anxiety and horrible waiting. 

Are others finding scans/tests/treatments/review appts have been delayed? Its nerve wracking as it is, without unfair delays and cancellations.

Do be in touch if you can give any advice if you've experienced this, or indeed if you wish to friend me if you, or your loved one is in a similar situation with pain management and/or recurrence..

Sending love to all xx

• My sister is on patches and when the patches had been on for a few days, she found them effective. I think it takes a little time for the pain relief to get into the system and up to the level needed. It’s much easier than her needing to take painkillers. The dose is increased as and when she needs it and she has had little to no breakthrough pain since then. As soon as she starts to feel uncomfortable, I make a call and the dose is increased. She also takes pregablin for nerve pain which alongside the patches, really helps. 

My sister is not having active treatment so I can’t advise on the scans and delay etc. I found the palliative care team have been great in liaising with our GP for all medical issues. 

it’s a worrying time I’m sure and I hope that the scans are done soon and you get the answers you need. Take care