Insomnia has struck

• 2 replies
  • 25 subscribers

My oncologist called yesterday to give me the unexpected news that my pancreatic tumour has shrunk by around 30%, the lymph node tumour in my neck has shrunk by around 70% and the growths in my liver have shrunk a bit too! This from the 3 cycles of Folfirinox I had in Dec 2021/Jan 2022. It's still in operable however. 

I couldn't handle the side effects of the Folfirinox and so a fortnight ago I started Abrixane and Gemo-something (can't remember the name) and it's suiting me much better. I'd resigned myself to the cancer growing so yesterday's news was a shock to the system! So much so, I woke with a jolt at 1.30 am and I'm still wired! 

I think I just wanted to tell people who understand fully and ask for any tips on how to handle insomnia. It's something I haven't really suffered with since diagnosis in November.

I really am pleased with the news, but also completely shocked and I'm thinking I'll have to contact my counsellor to talk this through.

Cheers

• Hi

That's great news to hear that everything is shrinking! However, I think that we tend to get ready for bad news so almost don't know how to handle good news.

I'm hoping that since you wrote this your sleeping patterns have gone back to normal but, in case they haven't, here is a link to Macmillan's information on difficulty sleeping.

Fortunately it's not something that's ever troubled me but sometimes my husband wakes at night and can't get back to sleep. He finds that instead of just lying there, he'll get up and make himself a cup of tea, do a crossword for an hour and then he'll start to feel tired again, go back to bed and fall asleep.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Latchbrook

Thanks for your reply. My sleep pattern seems to have returned to normal but I'll have a look at the page you recommended.

I think you're right about the good news, it was so unexpected, probably the first but of good news I'd had since November so it just threw me. I've decided to keep it at the back of my mind until after the scan in May, otherwise I don't think I'd cope with the lack of sleep until then!

Thanks again

C