An "aside" from my Cancer but not really!

• 1 reply
  • 25 subscribers

I was discharged from the local hospital yesterday evening after 8 days of non-chemo treatment and I'm in a quandary about what to to do next.

My wife dropped me off at the door and I walked into A&E (on the advice of the CC Help line triage nurse) on Thursday morning, 3rd February, and was eventually discharged Friday, 11th, early evening. If it hadn't been for an Oncologist from the cancer centre I'd probably still be in hospital.

I had terrible diarrhoea, clinical sepsis (according to discharge letter) and liver and kidneys were highly dehydrated. I spent a large part of seven days on a drip, was given intravenous antibiotics plus potassium and magnesium tablets, to correct my blood electrolytes.

The discharge letter has "suspended" two of my regular medications - Rosuvastatin (affects the liver) and Indapamide (nephrotoxic) - with referral to GP for consideration.

My problem now is what to do about the fact that I should have been having regular blood tests to ensure these pills weren't causing problems.

Do I complain to my surgery? Do I change to another surgery and, if so, will they be any better? And I'm well aware of the problems doctors have been facing over the past 2 years.

On top of this, the local cancer centre always do a blood test the day before I get treatment. Does that not show up liver and kidney function problems?

I've questions for the Oncologist when I see her next Wednesday, but what to do about complaining to my GP.

• Hi

It sounds like you've been through an awful lot just recently and I hope the oncologist can answer your questions tomorrow.

As for whether you should complain to your GP you might find this information from the NHS on how to complain to the NHS useful in helping you make that decision.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"