Early detection

• 1 reply
  • 25 subscribers

Hi all, my dad started to get tummy pains & back ache on the 5th November, back & forth to doctors, then A&E until final diagnosis on Christmas eve.. deterioration was super fast, my dad sadly passed on 30th January. He was 66. Broken...

I am interested to see how people's symptoms start, is there nothing more that can be done to detect this brutal disease earlier?

Also is there any real link with this being hereditary? I'm so scared. 

Many thanks 

• Hello Van Life, 

I am sorry to hear about your father's death. Pancreatic cancer is notoriously difficult to diagnose and many people sadly die soon after diagnosis as the disease has spread . For many other types of cancer rates of survival have improved but pancreatic cancer remains with a high fatality rate.

I am no medical expert but I understand that PC is not considered to be hereditary. However, sometimes there may be a familial relationship in that genes within the family are similar and are prone to a cancer. Both my husband and his brother died of PC but we could find no genetic link when tests were carried out.

It is understandable that you are scared. Especially now when your father's death is so recent but hopefully in due course you will feel more confident .

Why not give the nurses at Pancreatic Cancer UK a ring. They will be able to chat things through with you.

Squeaky