Squamous Cell Pancreatic Cancer

• 5 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hello,  My name is Carole and I was diagnosed with this incredibly rare type of Pancreatic cancer in August.  I've now had surgery which entailed the removal of the tail of the pancreas, the spleen and 15 lymph nodes. I'm told that the cancer was found in the lymph nodes and that it will return.  The oncologist has advised me that because of it's rarity, there is no treatment available for me and so I have been discharged and referred back to the surgeon who operated on me so that he I can arrange regular monitoring and scans. There are no drugs and no chemo available for me.  Prognosis is anything from 2 months to maybe 2 years (if you're lucky).  Does anyone know any other avenues to explore?

Thanks 

Carole

• Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. No doubt your head is all over the place. Lack of info and choices doesn't help, as we all like a plan of action to feel more reassured.

Is there a possibility of immunotherapy?

I'm no expert- I know surgery and chemo are the standard treatments, but am unsure if immunotherapy for PC is possible...anyone know??

xx

• Hi Carole, I'm sorry to hear this news. I have no medical training so can only comment based on my experience on these forums. If you have not already done so I suggest that you contact the Pancreatic Cancer UK nurses on 0808 801 0707. They are experts and will be able to chat to you. It's also worth looking at their website.

Squeaky

• Thank you so much for thinking about me, I appreciate your thoughts and will raise the question with the doctors. It's certainly worth a try.  xx

• Hello Squeaky,  I'm new to this so I appreciate the information that you have given me and I will certainly follow it up, at the moment I'm floundering so talking to the experts will, at the very least, give me more of an idea on how to go forward. Thank you so much for your help.

Carole 

• Hi Carole, I think you will find speaking to the nurses most helpful. It's around six years ago since I was in touch but they were superb.

Squeaky