Advice / Help

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 25 subscribers

Hi, 

My dad was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer in August last year. He has since undergone 12 rounds of chemotherapy, recovered from 2 bouts of sepsis and had stents fitted. He has lost 4 1/2 stone since this all started. Last week he had to go back into hospital to have the stents flushed as they had become blocked and he developed jaundice again. The consultants have told us that the whipple operation is not on the table as the tumour is wrapped round a major blood vessel. When he came out of hospital last week we thought we would start to see an improvement, however he developed a lot of fluid in his abdomen and had to go be taken back into hospital. He has since had the fluid drained and again we thought this may improve things, however he is still in constant pain and his appetite is basically non existent.

A short snippet of the horrendous ordeal of this past year. 

I don't know what I'm looking for but myself and my mum want to try anything we can to help him and for him not to be in pain. Any advice would be so helpful. 

Thank you x 

• Hello Liv22

Ascites, the fluid which was drained, is quite common with Pancreatic Cancer, unfortunately and may well recur. However, your father should be able to have pain relief. If he does not have anything from the hospital that is helping him then get it touch with his GP who should be able to help with medications.

Unfortunately, a lack of appetite is also fairly common with PC. Just try to offer him small tasty snacks. The main thing is to try not to stress about this. I did and all it really did was to make me and my husband unhappy.

It's difficult I know but try to take one day at a time.

Squeaky