Anyone survive The Whipple at 89yrs old?

• 3 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hi, My Mom was diagnosed with Ampullary cancer of the bile duct 2cm tumor in December. We are  Heartbroken as she has always been healthy until she developed Afib 4 yrs ago. She is a candidate for the Whipple, but has Afib and is very weak. Her surgeon said 3 yr survival rate with Whipple 18 months with bile duct stent. 

Her surgeon said she would have feeding tube and drains after surgery and be in a lot of pain. He has been very straight forward with what to expect. 

Is there anyone here that has had the Whipple at this age? 

Praying for all who have been diagnosed and fighting this cancer Pray

• Hi

I don't have any experience with Whipple but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' your post back to the top of the discussion list where it'll be more easily spotted.

The only thing that I can say is that you said the surgeon has been very straight with what your mum can expect and I'm sure he wouldn't recommend this procedure if he didn't think she was a suitable candidate. However, your mum needs to be able to make an informed choice and if she needs to speak to him further before deciding what to do then I'd recommend that she does so.

This must be a very difficult decision for your mum to make and I wish you both all the best with whatever she decides to do.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi latchbrook, Thank you so much for your reply. My Brother was an Administrator at a Major Hospital and they had weekly quota meetings with Hospital Doctors and Surgeons here in the US. This is our concern about the Surgeon saying she is a candidate for the Whipple. 

I am on several sites in the US and have yet to find anyone My Mom's age being offered the Whipple and that's why I asked on this site.

Thank you again for your reply. 

• Hi

I assume that by "quota meetings" you mean that US doctors have to get a certain number for Whipple each week and that you're worried that your mum is being put forward to meet that quota rather than because she's a good candidate for the treatment.

Thankfully it doesn't work like that here so we can be confident that we're only being offered treatment if it will benefit us.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"