Mother Diagnosed - Operable Advice Needed

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hi All,

Gosh I don’t know where to start....

I’m trying to be brave and as helpful as I can but to me it’s the unknown that keeps me awake at night. 

My mum has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer this is operable which is the best outcome from what I can see. 
They have said there is a high possibility of a full removal of the pancreas and the spline. 

My worry is what happens next....

I keep reading these very low survival rates after 5 years, and it terrifies me. 

Can anyone shed any light on their situation and how they have coped throughout this. 

I am being a here for my Mother and don’t show her the worry but it keeps me awake every night. 

Love to all going through these times, I’m so thankful to have found this forum, hopefully here I can talk freely and openly about what is happening.

• Hi there

Sorry to hear about your mum. 

I can fully understand what you're going through and at this time you are understandably looking for information and doubtless some answers

I had part of my pancreas removed plus a stent fitted to cure jaundice about 2 years ago. When I received the cancer diagnosis I 'consulted' google, as you would, and quite honestly it did more harm than good. The descriptions of this condition would terrify you even if you weren't apprehensive enough already. Therefore I vowed to forget the internet and get everything I needed to know from the team at my cancer centre.

These  people are the experts although the main question you would want an answer to is How long have I got?

They won't be able to give an answer because they don't know but whilst my latest scans have shown no recurrence of the cancer I am under no illusions that it may return sometime.

I think about cancer every day not the disease necessarily but I remember the excellent treatment and kindness shown by all the surgical and oncology teams. Their was also a good dose of humour and small acts of kindness which helped tremendously in my recovery.

I hate clichés but we all are different and therefore our approach to problems will be different but for my part I don't worry about what might/mightn't happen and instead make the most of today

I talked to many other people during my chemo sessions and what is remarkable is we are more resilient and stronger than we realise.

Talking is important [ it really does help] and encourage your mum to take advantage of the support structure available to her. Do not bottle anything up. She will not be a nuisance 

Hope this helps and by the way whilst the recuperation period can be long at the moment I feel fitter than I have for many years

Best Wishes to yourself and your Mum

Kevin

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to kevatvinegarhill

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your reply.

I have been very careful with the research I have been doing, and only doing it on the sites the nurses recommended. This is how I found this wonderful support group and chat. 
    Thank you for telling me your story, it’s very inspiring I just hope I can be the carer mum needs. 
    Your story is very inspiring and you sound very positive which is great. 
    It’s so nice to know so many people can be there for each other in these times. 

I am also here if you ever need to talk, good luck with everything. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

My wife has Pancreatic Cancer but different to your moms. A site we use and found very helpful is Pancreatic Cancer Uk. There nurses, forums and information have been very helpful. This site is specific for PC 

we all think we aren’t doing enough or want to know more but as Kevin says there is no one who can tell you what will happen in individual cases, we are all different 

but again talk to others, talk to your teams and carry on living (both your mom and yourself) as normal a life as you can. They may be off days but there will be good days

stay strong and positive 

• Hi. Sorry to hear about your Mum. I have lost part of my pancreas, my gall bladder and duedendom. I now have to take enzymes everytime I eat. 

It is really good news that your Mum can have the op. 

I'd love to tell you what happens long term but please don't google anything. 

J