Exercise

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I have pancreatic cancer which is in a difficult place , I have a stent in my bile duct, I have just had chemo no , 10, I have a scan due , to hopefully decide where we go next, 

I have lost a lot of weight, I know due to the cancer and chemo but, I do feel a lot of my weight loss is due to loss of muscle, before diagnosis I was coastal walking , going to the gym , working full time as a carer, and riding horses , since becoming ill I do nothing except small walk each day, the reason being that that I have an awkward tumour in an awkward place , it took 6 theatre OR visits to get the stent in therefore I am very scared about doing any exercises that involve anything near or around my upper abdomen. 
My question is please , can  anyone with the same cancer recommend any exercises for the arms ? Legs, general strength ? That do not involve the abdomen? Please.

• Hi Crackerlakin

I had a stent fitted in April 2019 in conjunction with a whipples operation. My chemo went well and the last 2 scans have shown no recurrence of cancer

i can fully understand your hesitation regarding exercise. Understandably a lot of people would consider the  weight loss is fat but we both know that muscle 'disappears' very quickly. My own solution was to take things very gently and let my body strenghten itself. this does take some time but i found it useful to gradually extend my daily walks , lifting bags of sugar to build up arm muscle and always going up stairs to  the loo rather than use the one downstairs. It may not seem much but slowly but surely my condition and strength did come back although i  avoided and still do not do abs exercise just to be on the safe side.

Hope this helps and i trust the chemo/scan results are good

Best Wishes

Kevin

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to kevatvinegarhill

Hi Kevin 

thank you for your reply , your advice is very beneficial to me , the things you suggested are things I am doing , I’m glad I was right in thinking slowly, a bit at a time,, thank you,

my recent scan has shown the tumour to be ‘stable’ but not responding to treatment,  and therefore it is now classed as ‘ non operable’ this was such sad news fir me and the family, they are now looking to see if I can have radiotherapy possibley alongside chemotherapy, so, keeping fit physically and mentally is so important to me, as it helps me to keep thinking positively , again thank you for your advice,

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to kevatvinegarhill

My husband had a biliary stent and a gastric bypass. He got a small exercise bike that you can use with your arms as well.