Advice please,

• 2 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi there,

I did have a PICC line in my right arm but they had to remove it due to the fact I developed a blood clot.

So today it took 3 attempts to get a cannula in my hands and eventually the one in my right hand worked, unfortunately my platelets had dropped so I couldn’t have chemo! Which I totally understand.

I’m not good with needles and get very nervous as I have had bad experiences in the past when I was on a clinical trial. So I want to do all I can to make it easier for the nurses and also cope better.

They warmed my hands in water and I wore cashmere hand warmers on the he way to the hospital but to no avail! I don’t want to dread my visit is because my veins are so rubbish!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated as I am sure I’m not alone with this scenario.

take care, stay safe,

Jo

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi jem57, sounds exactly like me, I had a PICC line in my left arm arm but also had a blood clot so had to be removed, although one nurse said the Picc line didn't need to be removed they should have just let the fragmin do it's job, 2 days later I had the Picc line put in my right arm, I'm on fragmin which I have to inject every day for 6 months, as for the veins I'm exactly the same as soon as mine see a needle they go into hiding, I was told to make sure I drink plenty of fluids before, but the last time I had to have a cannula it took 4 attempts, so it was suggested that an ultra sound be used, the same as when the Picc line was put in, hope this helps

xx

• Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch, I think that if they keep having problems then I will contact my nurse about a line for my left arm. I have had lines before and the only problem I had was they kept moving and had to be replaced! The blood clot is a new experience!

Likewise I am on Frag in, which my husband administers for me! I will give the extra fluids a go too anything that gets me through it. 

take care,

Jo

xxxx

Jem57