How to deal with the last moments

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 24 subscribers

My mum was diagnosed 4 days ago with stage 4 pancreatic cancer, each day she is sleeping more and more, while talking less and less. She won't eat anything and is often disoriented. 

Due to covid19 it's just me and her in the house, no one can visit etc.

Does anyone have any advice on what I could do to make her last moments better?

Do I keep trying to get her to eat and drink? She has no appetite at all. Due to the liquid morphine she has no pain however it's also making her alot more sleepy.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi pleased to meet you, firstly ask the experts advice medically. and if you are there, alone you are doing a good job, even though on morphine you are still aware of exactly who is around you, and i have been on morphine two kinds.

I remember being made comfortable with cushions and having fresh water at hand, and who was loving, i was not at home.

You are doing a fantastic job, but please for your peace of mind and heart ask the expert, who know the medical file etc.

Thinking of you at this very hard time and i am so proud of you.

Hug!

Shazam

• Hi there, it must be so difficult for you looking after your mum with her pancreatic cancer with the added stress of the isolation due to the virus. I agree with shazam, it's important that you feel reassured by getting medical advice, do you have a palliative care team or district nurse support organised by her gp? It's good to know there is someone at the end of the phone should you need them. You may or may not need physical help with your mum at some stage so that is something that needs to be discussed with them. 

I found when my partner was ill with this type of cancer that I spent a lot of time, heartache and energy trying to get him to eat. It was impossible, and this may he the case with your mum, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. Keep offering fluids for as long as she is able to safely swallow them. In the hospice at the end they had a very fine spray that moistened the mouth,, but maybe that could be provided in the future.

However, I'm no expert, the medical team are the best ones to inform you about care at this stage of her illness. You are there doing the best  you can giving her company, love and support. You are amazing, you are the person who she needs and loves , but you also need to feel supported. I would try and get things in place so you can have peace of mind.

Love Pam xx

Love is eternal