Whipple surgery with complications - can anyone relate?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Morning Everyone

I haven't posted before on here but I'm looking for anyone who can relate and has had a similar experience to offer their support. 

My Dad has cancer of the duodenium which was found accidentally (we were very lucky it was found) and we were informed that it is localised and could be removed via a whipple procedure with a course of chemo after. Dad is 70 with some complex previous medical conditions which put him in the higher risk category but he was deemed well enough for surgery. We were told that his stay in hospital could be from 1-3 months. 

Unfortunately our experience hasn't been straight forward. The actual whipple procedure went very well, however he spent 2 weeks on the high dependency ward due to experiencing a chest infection, he also had issues with fluid leaking from the pancreas and there was some discussion over incision of a third drain however this was not required. He did then contract some sort of "bug" from one of the fluids in his drain and required treatment for this. 

After two weeks he was stepped down to a ward however has experienced since then the following complications:

- Delayed stomach emptying so he is unable to eat and constantly vomiting with anything he has attempted to eat

- Fluid retention/fluid overload due to lack of mobility and his body not obsorbing protein therefore he is requiring oxygen and has severe oedema in legs and abdomen

- On two separate occasions he has had blood clots in one of his drains and a blood transfusion. There was some discussion around a CT scan and to possibly embolise the source for this, however the bleeding on both occasions stabilised so this has just been monitored

Dad's now just over 3 weeks post surgery, only transferring with assistance of two to the chair. He's on oxygen and the aim yesterday was to insert an NJ tube in his nose to feed him due to the delayed stomach emptying. Unfortunately this procedure was unsuccessful yesterday due to excessive food on my Dad's stomach so they are going to attempt this again in a weeks time when they have "pumped this food out".

Can anyone relate to this story? I'm conscious that other patients on my Dad's ward have made amazing recoveries and many stories I read online refer to an average of a 14 day stay and 3-4 stay on high dependency. At the moment Dad isn't improving day to day but with the amount of complications this does not surpirse me either as many days there has been an extra problem to add to the list. Dad did a lot of work prior to surgery working out to increase exercise tolerance and strength with weights. He also did a lot of work prior to surgery on a breathing device he was provided by Physio - he was a perfect patient who worked hard prior to surgery. 

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

• Hello Lynx

Welcome to the group and I’m sorry to hear about your Dad’s slow recovery from the Whipple. There are certainly people who recover quickly from the surgery but I have also read of those who do take longer. 

You are clearly a great support for your Dad and the hospital seem to be caring well for him . I think taking one day at a time is the best way forward.

Squeaky

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Squeaky

Hi Squeaky

Thanks for your response to my post and I certainly took your advice and tried to focus on one day at a time.

I thought I would post an update, just so that if anyone now or in the future is in the same position as my Dad or myself, they can read this post and be able to see that things have got better. 

Since 2 days ago Dad had a tube inserted into his nose to his stomach where the nursing staff aspirated the food that he had tried to consume which was not digesting. I have to say Dad did appear much better even just from the food being removed, they had reduced his amount of oxygen required. For anyone in the same position, I watched this being aspirated by the nurse and although I think it feels a little uncomfortable it wasn't a painful experience. We were also informed that the NJ tube would be inserted the day after as the team had assessed Dad as well enough to have this procedure which was a great positive for us.  

Dad had the NJ tube inserted yesterday and again is doing much better today. Dad physically looks much more well in himself and his oxygen is no longer required in the daytime (after a month of requiring this). Dad's cathetar was also removed. 

I'm hoping he will be home soon and finally feel like I can get a good nights sleep without worry!

• Hi Lynx

Thanks for the update. That all sounds very promising and hopefully your Dad will be home soon.

Squeaky

• My husband, age 65, was diagnosed with a rare cancer called GIST, which was found due to a gi bleed he was hospitalized for ( caused by the tumor itself) he was released 8 days and 13 units of blood later and sent to oncologist. The tumor was in the duodenum and if it spread would be untreatable and the only way to remove it was whipple surgery. He had the surgery July 12, 2023. He was in icu 23 days and total hospital stay of 50 days. It is 5 months later and he is still on TPN ( iv nutrition) and is only able to drink sips of water to take his medication. He can have a couple of sips of broth. But thats it. We are not sure what to expect from here. At this point we wish he never did it and would have took our chances. He is a farmer, usually up at daylight and home hours after sundown. Now he spends most days in bed with short rides here and there and rarely speaks to anybody. It has been life changing for us all.