What can we expect?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 23 subscribers

Hello everyone.

My mother was admitted to hospital with jaundice and itching on 31.12.2018. Her bile duct was blocked by what we found out a few days later to be a pancreatic tumour. She had a stent fitted which eventually, after 2 weeks got rid of the jaundice and the itching. My mother has lost about 2 stone and up until March wasn’t really eating and was having Ensure drinks. We found out 5 weeks ago that there is nothing they can do, not even chemo and that she has 6 months to live. Obviously this came as a big shock to us all. 

Over the last 3 weeks my mother has been more active than I’ve known her to be in the last few years. She wants to be out all the time and is eating much better, very rarely having an Ensure drink. She does have trouble going to sleep at night but once she does she sleeps well. She has a very positive attitude to her diagnosis and is coping very well and sorting out all the practical things in her life. 

Over the last week she has been complaining about dizzy spells where the whole room is spinning but they seem to pass after a few minutes. Last night she experienced some shaking when she got into bed. 

With her being so amazingly well at the moment we are just waiting for something awful to happen. It feels as though she is a ticking time bomb. 

I know that everyone’s experiences of this dreadful cancer are different but I just wondered if anyone could give me some pointers on what we need to watch out for because at the moment I wouldn’t be at all surprised if she told me she was going to do a skydive. 

Many thanks. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi zippy 

welcome to the community. My mum was very similar. She was diagnosed in March 17 with a prognosis of 6-8 months with chemo. The first few months she was very sick and we thought we’d never have a good day again and then out of the blue she got remarkably well. Her appetite came back and she enjoyed having a drink again and there was no stopping her she made every day count. She was like that for a good 6 months and some of my most treasured memories are from that time. She lived for 14 months from diagnosis. 

I had a good relationship with her Macmillan nurse and would call her with every symptom and a tweak of medication would usually help but other than that I would try not to stress about what to look out for and just enjoy this time. It really is precious x