Where there is life there’s hope!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 24 subscribers

So 1 year ago today my fabulous mum was told she had terminal PC on a ward with strangers listening and no family for support. The doctor who she had never met before said she would only have weeks not months. 3 weeks later mum had a horrific gall bladder infection that we thought would kill her she was so sick. I tried to prepare my dad for the worst as he has a habit of putting his head in the sand and he replied “ where there is life there’s hope “. After several more infections and chemo starting my mum suddenly got really strong and back to enjoying life. We had 6 really great months from June to December after which my mum got heart failure and all treatment had to stop. We are now at a point where we just can’t say but are just so grateful for the good times last year. 

There has been a lot of people joining this group recently which breaks my heart. The only advice I would give is enjoy each day. After my mum eventually saw an oncologist she was given a prognosis of 6-8 months and hey ho we’ve done a year!! Who can say what the future holds but as my dad says “where there’s life there’s hope “   Enjoy your family as long as you can. Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

A year ago I too was given a terminal diagnosis without family support and given 6 months at most. Well here I am still undergoing chemo and yeah I have bad days but in the main I'm doing most of the things I want to at a more leisurely pace. Whilst I would never wish cancer on anyone this diagnosis has brought my family closer together, we enjoy the little things hugging and kissing readily.

I used to be unable to make plans even for tomorrow cos my brain wouldn't let me! Now I'm organising all over the place, this week next week next month. Ok they may be sketchy plans that I don't firm up till nearer the day but it gives me a future! In fact my youngest daughter is getting married in August and who knows if I'll physically be there but I'm trying to be as involved as possible so I can picture the day if not.

Like your dad says 'where there's life's' at least we can appreciate our time, many people are taken with no warning

Happy Easter

Liz

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Splodge321, thank you firstly for being such an encouragement and support to people on this site. I have only recently been posting, but have been an avid reader for a while. 

My husband was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer this time last year, and given 1-2 years, depending upon which doctor you spoke to! Since then he has done well with chemotherapy, and has just started radiotherapy, so we will see how that goes.

Yes, he gets very tired at times, but we try and enyjoy ourselves as much as we can. On our first trip to radiotherapy we played the game 'guess the name' from peoples number plates...... the best I have seen for a longtime was AD09PAW.........

Perhaps I should start a new thread entitled silly games to see what else people do to pass the time on the way to hospital!!!!!

Tilly

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi grandmaLiz and Tilly

Sorry I have only just seen your replies. 

I wish you both much strength and love (the same as all on here) isn’t it lovely to be able to get support from each other. 

What a great idea for a thread Tilly, you should start it.

Here’s to more great days for us all as none of us no what is around the corner. Let’s enjoy whilst we can. 

Much love to you both xx

• I could do with some games while sitting in the car park, not allowed in the hospital!  Actually, I'm learning Gaelic on Duolingo so it is bearable but sad to see others shivering in their cars