Pain relief advice

• 8 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi, we are waiting for my mum's biopsy results but everything is pointing out to PC. My mum has been in a severe pain since October, now prescribed 10mg Morphine Sulfate x 2 day, and 10mg Oramorph to be taken as 5ml max 6 times in 24hr. This medicine is not helping, she is in a significant pain, she can only leave home to get more medicine and straight back home. It is so hard to see...

Can you share your experiences and medicines that helped with pain? Has anyone tried nerve block - A celiac plexus block? Thinking possibly to see if we can pay for it privately, to get it asap. Thank you

• I was diagnosed with Pancteatic Cancer in October 2022.  .My main symptoms were.excruciating pain. While waiting to start Chemo I was put on Oxycontin 20mg by my G.P.. He also told me to take Panadol 8 a day which I did. I started Chemo the just before Christmas 2022. I was on GemAbraxine every two weeks and after the second dose the pain went. I am still on the.Oxycontin but nothing else. I stayed on treatment until  November 2023 when I had to stop as I could t cope  couldn't 

• Sorry just to finish off that last post amy body couldn't tolerate any more.  I also had SBRT Radiotherapy August. It's higher doses over a shorter period (with me 5 days). My tumour which is on the head of the Pancreas with blood vessel intervention is not operable. With all the treatment they didnt succeed in shrinking it.  But it is now stable and inactive and they seem happy with that.  I had a Scan last week.whick shows that everything is still stable and they will repeat the Scan in 3 months. Kind of nerve wrecking. Your mom will  need to be put on Creon. It is an anzyme that does the work of the Pancreas in digesting food. This is important as it is essential to keep weight on. If I can be of any further help do not hesitate to contact me 

• Thank you, Dewie, so much for sharing, so many things to consider. Wishing you all the best!

• My husband was in considerable pain before his chemo started in Dec 2023 and was having to increase his pain medication regularly. Oromorph hardly helped. He was then prescribed 75mg Pregablin 2/ day and 30mg slow release morphine 2/day. This hasn’t had to be increased since the chemo started in December. He also takes 8 paracetamol / 24 hours. It’s possible that he doesn’t need to take this level of pain killer anymore but he’s understandably reluctant to stop!

• I was interested to read that you have been given SBRT radiotherapy. Did you have to go privately for that?

I hope your next scan goes well. 

• Yes I did have SBRT privately. So far my tumour has remained stable. Next Scan in May 

• A bit late replying but new here.  I had a celiac nerve block procedure shortly after diagnosis 6m ago, which within a few days in my case completely resolved chronic lower back pain from tumour pressure on that nerve, pain that morphine did not hep with.  It did not help with shoulder pain I experience, but that does not trouble me much (zapping a different nerve might work, and is possible in principle, but I have not pursued this).   NHS do offer the procedure. Mine was by EUS endoscopy at the same time as a tumour biopsy, fairly quick day surgery.  I gather it does not work for everyone, or may not be permanently effective in all cases, but worth exploring IMHO

• Hi so my symptoms were mainly pain and I a diagnosed in sept 23. I take some days 10mg slow release x 2 a day and sometime  depending on pain level. Do you take paracetamol with the morphine tables, don’t underestimate their power as I was told at the chemo clinic that they can make morphine 40% more Effective