New Pancreatic and Liver cancer

• 13 replies
  • 27 subscribers
  • Hi. I am 55 years old and came into hospital on Friday with suspected gall bladder stones being stuck in my bile duct. I have been told today that I have pancreatic cancer that has spread to my liver. I am having a stent fitted tomorrow to try and clear the jaundice. They have said that it could take 1 - 3 weeks to do this and I can't start chemo before it is resolved. I am so scared. I have a lot of family support but I don't know what to think or what I should be doing. Any help please?
  • Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

It's natural to feel scared when you've just been told you have cancer but hopefully the stent you've had fitted will make you more comfortable and you'll feel more in control once your treatment starts.

I haven't had this type of cancer but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list once again.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi im sorry to hear of your diagnosis, my mum was diagnosed the same way in july, they suspected gallstones but turned out to be PC. Firstly as hard and as emotionally difficult as it is, try to stay calm, control your thoughts and do not think of the worst case scenario, have they talked about chemo with you? Once you have the stent you will feel a million times better - also do you have creon? If not i would ask your consultant about it, it’s easier to manage food with it

• Hi certyzee. I'm not sure what creon is. I'm sorry to hear about your mum. I still have an appetite at the moment, I just can't eat much. I am taking regular pain relief and oral morphine just when I need it. I have some right sided pain which is pretty constant and had the stent fitted on Wednesday. Not sure if this is that or the cancer.

• Hi Latchbrook. Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry to read about your diagnosis. I'm still trying to get my head around everything but at least I am home now waiting for my liver biopsy to work out my type of chemo. So much information to take in at the moment. 

• Creon is a pancreatic replacement enzyme, it truly works wonders and I believe almost everyone with pancreatic cancer takes some form of it. When my mum got this her pain stopped and she could eat her normal portion sizes again. I would definitely bring this up to your consultant the next time you see them but I’m pretty sure you may be prescribed it soon. Wishing you all the best, please keep us posted on what your treatment plan is

• Thank you so much. I will. I have my liver biopsy on Thursday so they can work out my treatment plan. Thanks again. I hope your mum is getting on well as well. Xx

• Hello

I was diagnosed in July 2023. Stage 4 adenocarcinmoa pancreas with liver mets. Initially admitted  with jaundice, likely gall stones then, BAM!!! I’m 49 years old  and the mother of 2 teens. 
    I’m  happy to answer any questions if any help? I am 6 months into Chemo and about to start a second type tomorrow. 

Has your pain subsided? I had pain for quite a while after stent insertion even though the literature I was given advised it would only be uncomfortable for a few days. I’ve now had 2, plastic first then metal. I did generally have pain however at the beginning of my diagnosis but I don’t even take pain medication now, possibly as the tumours have shrunk.

Good luck with your liver biopsy. More than happy to answer ‘ANY’ question  x 

• Hi. Sorry about your diagnosis. The shock is definitely overwhelming. I am getting pain on a daily basis but controlled with paracetamol, codeine and oral morphine although I was sick after taking the higher dose of morphine. I had a liver biopsy yesterday and now need to wait to find out the course of chemotherapy that I will be put on. 
    • I still have an appetite and feel hungry but the pain and digestive symptoms are worse following a meal so not eating much. I have a palliative nurse coming to see me on Tuesday so hopefully I can ask for something that will help.
    • It's all a blurr at the moment.
    • Thanks for replying and I hope your chemo goes well. X
  • Hi, while you are waiting I would advise on working on maintaining your weight (or gaining if possible if you are underweight). I found that doctors were so focused on the cancer itself and the treatments that they overlooked the day to day issue of weight loss which is typical with pancreatic cancer. I was a carer and CREON was a life saver. It is a substitute for pancreatic enzymes and helps your body digest food. Keeping your weight will help you with the next phase of treatments. 

• Hi Kate55. The palliative nurse came out yesterday and prescribed Creon so hopefully we can pick it up today and I can start eating a little more normally. I am just waiting to find out the course of chemotherapy I will be starting.

Thank you for your support.

X