Mum - cancer was worse than originally thought.

• 37 replies
  • 22 subscribers

So my mum had the whipples procedure at the beginning of December, she had a phone call appointment and was told the cancer was bigger than they thought and it had also travled in to blood vessels and lymphnodes. They haven't staged her cancer either should it be ??

They removed what they could but its still in the lymphnodes.

I'm now left with 100s of questions and not sure what this means for the future. 

They recomeded chemo 12 weeks after her surgery, so we arnt sure of the plan yet 

Shes currently still in hospital because she had so much fluid build up, they have taken her back off food by mouth and is being fed through a tube

Just feel a bit lost at the moment and full of worry.

• Hello, hope your OK, is there any news of when they will make another appointment? My mum seen the oncologist today, she will be starting chemo I'm 2 weeks, and  it will be for 12 weeks, I'm a bit anxious of what's going to happen, but my mum is starting to open up a bit now which is good. X

• Hi Luciee,

Oh I'm glad that your Mum is chatting a bit more about it now, I hope its opening the dialogue of her understanding whats happening, decision making and talking together. I know how difficult it is when there are issues with communication and voicing feelings.

Dad finally got a letter today, they have another appt next Fri- seems a long time off when we continue to wait on news, but thankfully at least we have a new date rather than nothing.

Dad seems to now be shaking off some of the chemo effects and the picc line was taken out yesterday.

Baby steps, but hopefully in a positive direction. 

Now its a repeat performance of trying to keep sane in the waiting period for the results. grrr.

What type of chemo will your mum have?

Thanks for keeping in touch xx

• I think she's been trying to deal with it herself, but I feel relived she's letting us support her a bit more,I'm glad to hear your dad if starting to improve, and you have another appointment, keep me updated, im only a message away if you need to let some emotions out. How long was your dad's chemo for? She's on folfirinox every 2 weeks. Xx

• Hi there, yes thankfully a new appt has been given for next Fri, so  a bit more of a wait but at least we now know when we'll find out more.

When Dad had the Folfirinox following the whipple, it was for 12 rounds- he completed 10 as it caused his platelet levels to plummet. 

His more recent one for the recurrence was Abraxane/Gemzar and he had a lot- 18 altogether so now its time for a rest and to recuperate.

Keep in touch to let me know how she gets on with the chemo treatments and for any updates- I know how much a listening ear means xxx

• Hiya, how are you doing and how is your Mum? x

• Mum looks well, she's just tired alot but she's starting to feel more herself, her chemo starts on 21st so we are trying to get as ready as you can for it and make preparations for her, how's your dad? Hopefully this week hasn't been too testing for you. Thinking of you x

• Hiya, just an update- Dad was given the news today that his cancer has spread further on chemo. So, no more from now on (he had completed the cycles anyway) and to take it a day at a time. Not good news, but its somewhat of a relief to know what the picture is now x

• Hi one love, I'm so sorry about the late reply! My account hasn't been loading and I havent been able to log in, how are you, I'm sorry to hear the news that you were given, I you understand the relief of knowing what to expect, how Is your dad now? 

Thinking of youx

• Hi there, so good to hear from you. How are you doing, how's your mum? Begun chemo as yet?

Dad is a bit up and down, though given his prognosis remains reasonable and carries on as normally as poss.

He's the stoic stiff upper lip type- to a ridiculous extent- whereas Mum and I are trying to hold it together!

Glad to know where we stand though- at least we have some info and something to work with now.

Got a feeling he will be fairly well up until the end, then nosedive. Trying to encourage them to have a weekend break, but think Dad is a bit worried that he will become ill whilst away, or due to chemo foggy brain, which remains a bit atm, he may have trouble with the drive somewhere in case his focus isn't great.. He tends to keep it local now.

We are just trying to take it a day at a time and do little bits of planning without getting overwhelmed. At last it seems as though this news has made Dad take his head out of the sand and some of the endless denial has slipped away now.

I hope that you are doing ok and your Mum is alright- do keep in touch its good to have someone to chat to.

Take care x

• She started chemo today, she seems OK,  it's feeling all a bit surreal at the moment, she looks so well. And is kind of back to normal. But I know all will change soon, and the future may not be so kind.

I think a weekend break would be lovely for them i hope you manage to think of an alternative that works around the sitiation, maybe a train? maybe a nice outing for you all if manageable aswell.

How are you feeling ?? 

I will definatly stay in touch, and please message when ever you feel in need x