Chemotherapy side effects after 1st round

• 10 replies
  • 56 subscribers

I have just had my first round of chemo for my Stage 3 ovarian cancer 3 days ago. Bevacizumab, Paclitaxel and Carboplatin. I have taken the anti emetics  and steroids given to me but so far don't seem to have any side effects but a headache. That could be from the cold cap.

Can anyone tell me when the side effects show up, do they maybe get worse in the next rounds. I am not even sure what nurse I could phone as I was only given an Emergency 24 hour number.

I am quite pleased I don't feel unwell but is this normal. 

Thanks for any replies

Nephi

• My oncologist and the nurse stressed that everyone reacts differently so you may have many different replies. I initially asked a few people of their experiences and they were completely different to mine so I’m just taking it as it comes. 
    The 24 hour number in my experience is brilliant. If you have any concerns, call that number. I also have the number for my oncology nurse who I’ve called for more minor things like how to deal with constipation - not urgent but needed to be dealt with. I called the emergency number for a swelling and when I thought I had a blood clot.

I’ve had 2 rounds and my forehead felt a bit bruised for a while after using the cold cap. I am now having some hair loss but that is still to be expected. 

My main side effect has been some tiredness but only a couple of days of completely wiped out. I am on paclitaxel and carboplatin.

• Hi Nephi

as FloC replied, everyone responds differently however my experience was that with the steroids given intravenously on Day 1 and then via tablets on days 2 and 3 I felt good on those days with high energy and a good appetite (although my sleep was disturbed as if I had drank a late caffeinated coffee). From Day 3 I felt worse, with symptoms such as aching and generally rough as if I were suffering with flu. This lasted until day 7. I took ibuprofen throughout the day and cocodomol at night to alleviate this, plus rested and drank lots of water. I also went for a short (30 minutes) walk every day as I was advised that exercise helped (it did). By day 9 I was side effects free and no longer taking pain killers. 

I also found that I was constipated for a couple of days after chemo. I was given lactulose for this which I hated and after a few rounds we managed constipation with diet. For 3 days we only ate vegetarian meals (vegetable tagine, lasagne or curry) and this was enough to establish regular bowel movements  

I suggest that you keep a diary of what symptoms you experience on what day so that you build a picture across each cycle and know what to expect. That helped a lot. 

I hope this helps? Best wishes for chemo and recovery. 

Jackie 

• Hi , firstly , well done getting through first chemo I remember I was really nervous. Like the others have commented we all respond differently, for me I felt nauseous around day 4 for about 3 /4 days . I managed the nausea by taking anti sickness tablets and drinking lots of water and eating a healthy diet to manage constipation.I did feel tired as time went on but the side effects were more manageable than I anticipated . Best wishes with your treatment. Xx

• Thanks to all your responses.  All very helpful and encouraging.  Looks like everyone responds differently but also nothing as bad as anticipated. 

I got in touch with my cancer 24 hour nurse and she has put me on Loxidol sachets for the constipation.  Fingers crossed. 

She endorsed what you are saying, keep a diary and get in touch with them with any worries. 

I think after such an independent lifestyle that I thought I was in control of this sudden unknown situation is a bit overwhelming.  I am learning to ask for help and advice snd find it comforting.

Thanks and good luck with your own treatments.

Nephi

• Hiya I start the same treatment tomorrow feeling very nervous hope you are doing ok .Ok hand 

• Hi LKII

Good luck tomorrow.  Xxxx

Once in the chair and the competent nurses are around you I think you will be able to calm down . As the chemo and I had the cold cap lasts about 8 hours make sure you take something to amuse yourself.

I felt the worst was over once the treatment began. Finally something positive. I also have had few side effects, constipation in first week and tiredness on and off. I will be thinking of you tomorrow.  Xx

• Thankyou for the lovely reply I’ve got iPad etc all sorted hope you doing ok take care X

• How were your side effects hope you ok take care x

• Hi LKII

I have been thinking of you and wondering how you got on with your first round of chemo.  I hope you are feeling OK.

I have felt better than I expected after my first round. A bit of a headache and constipation for the first couple days and then a mild UTI last week.

I have my 2nd round on Monday 12th and hoping not to feel any worse. I am quite looking forward to it as I want to get this treatment really working. I haven't lost my hair yet but have cut my hair short, am using the cold cap and have ordered a wig!!!

Hope all going well for you. There are a lot of us on this scary journey. 

Best wishes,  Nephi

• Hello to those sharing on this thread. I am 6 weeks post full hysterectomy. I had my first round chemo 30th July with the next one on 20th Aug.  I felt fairly fine apart from the constipation (which sorry for tmi required microlax). Then day 5-9 absolutely wiped out. The neuropathy in the feet and ankles also started then plus slightly sore mouth. I was taking prophylactic Ciprofloxacin but this coincided with me feeling lousy and the acid stomach was something else so have agreed with oncology team to stop it. Feeling ok today. Hoping to get some steps in, go me! Best wishes to everyone on this rollercoaster.