Ovarian cancer without ovaries

• 8 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Hi everyone.

I have an amazingly supportive husband and two cats who love a good cuddle.

I started off with colorectal cancer and a straight forward solution, but I actually have clear cell ovarian cancer caused by endometriosis. A few years ago, I had a full hysterectomy including ovaries plus removal of extensive endometriosis - obviously not all!

I think it is in the peritoneum as well. I seem to be told about more things wrong at each appointment so I am not 100% sure.

I am so grateful for the care I have had and I am looking forward to my symptoms reducing with chemo - although I appreciate that has its own symptoms LOL.

My hair has been halfway down my backside for years so I am taking the plunge and getting most of it cut off tomorrow. I want to try the cold cap but I know it still has its limits on how much hair you keep. And we are all totally different in our issues and how we react to treatment.

Good luck to everyone just starting out and in treatment.

• Hello Flo C

Welcome to the Online Community and the Ovarian group.

I am sorry to hear of your ovarian cancer diagnosis and hope that you get clarification soon about where it is. It can be tough when the experts are still trying to work it out and I am sorry that you seem to be told more problems with each appointment.

I hope that your chemo goes well and that it helps. 

You mention the cooling cap so will post a link with some info- as I used it myself during my chemo. It is very much a personal decision but for me it was worth it. 

The Changing Faces of Cancer- Scalp cooling, Hair loss and Regrowth. - Macmillan Online Community

I am glad that you have plenty of support from your husband but if there is anything you feel like you would chat through with someone, then I can recommend the Support Line- the details are below. 

Hope this helps a bit. if there is anything else you need, then please do ask.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi  

I have read up a lot on the cold cap and I still have one unanswered question. Can I wear my glasses with it as I’m almost blind without them and 4 hours is a long time without a book to read.

• Hi FloC

i also made the decision to have my hair shaved as experiencing it coming out in lumps was more upsetting and by making the decision to shave it off I felt I was in control of at least something to do with this situation. I also videoed it and posted it on line to fundraise for MacMillan which helped me feel even better about it. I wore headscarves rather than a wig and felt that it was a good way to accessorise my clothes and also show that you can look good and be out in the world living normal life despite having cancer 
    following the end of chemo in December my hair started to grow back and I felt confident enough by the end of March to leave off my scarf. It did feel very cold LOL and I also discovered (what men have always known) that you really must put sun screen on your ears or they burn! 
    6 months in and my hair is needing regular trims and I have decided to keep a short style. Friends have commented how much younger I look and how much bigger my eyes appear. So this trauma of losing my hair is actually leading to a new style opportunity! 
    I am pleased to hear that you have a supportive partner. That makes a lot of difference. Best wishes with the haircut. 

• Thank you. It is always helpful to hear other people’s experiences.

It can sometimes feel a bit vain thinking about hair when I have cancer that I need to be treated. My husband has very little hair so I’m sure we will be having a competition on who has the most!

• Yes! You can wear your glasses. I wore my glasses throughout my treatment with the cold cap, and got a lot of reading done... Good luck! The cold cap did allow me to keep a fair amount of my hair. 

• No problem. It isn’t vain to think about our hair and appearance. When we have no control over one part of our health / life other elements over which we do have control become even more important. Best wishes. 

• From my experience, and the tightness of the cap, you would need to have them wide enough to fit over the outside of the outer grey cap. The inner blue cap does not go over you ears but the grey outer one does. So if you could sort something- like the elastic on swimming goggles- it would work- but don't know a lot about glasses. The outer grey cap has elastic cords that are pulled tight- so another way may be to use some sort of clip to clip glasses to these.

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Update! I managed to wear my glasses inside the cold cap. My husband said I looked like a jockey Grin