Can you ever feel free from ovarian cancer?

• 3 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Hi

During routine surgery to remove a polycystic cyst from an ovary, the surgeon decided removal of the ovary was a better option. Subsequent biopsy of the ovary found ovarian cancer. I had a radical hysterectomy which involved removal of the other ovary, part of my cervix, lymph node biopsy and having had endometriosis since puberty, a full endometrial scrape wherever they found traces of endometrium. The cancer seemed to have been contained within that first ovary which had already been removed and the lymph nodes came back clear. I acknowledge that I was extremely lucky.

That was actually back in 2011 so why am I posting now?

Well since then I have had melanoma 3 times. The primary tumour was removed in 2015. It recurred in 2020 and again just now in 2024. Thankfully the metastatic spread is local to the primary tumour site. 3 surgeries (including 2 skin grafts) on my foot so far and I'm currently waiting for biopsy results to see if they need to take out any more skin.

My question to this forum is how would I know if my ovarian cancer is gone or could it still come back 13 years later? What should I look out for? What might happen? To be honest, I kind of shut my run-in with ovarian cancer into a box when I was first diagnosed with melanoma because dealing with them both was too tough emotionally and melanoma has kept me busy ever since. i was given all "all clear" from ovarian in 2015 (a couple of months before first melanoma diagnosis so the celebrations were short lived). But it's like that box has been reopened and I'm now feeling incredibly spooked about ovarian all over again.

Thanks x

• I can’t answer your question because I don’t know the answer but just wanted to say how sorry I was to read this - you’ve been through so much. I know you felt “lucky” that the ovarian cancer was caught early so it must be even harder to have then had these melanomas

• That is very sweet of you dear  . It has indeed been a very tough journey which seems to be never ending at the moment.  Thank you for taking the time to reply .. even kind words can make things seem a bit brighter xx

• Hi Wanda what a journey you are on try to remain positive .I have ovarian cancer and am on palliative care so I know how it feels to always be on Alert when our bodies are under threat.What I would say is ASK YOUR CURRENT ONCOLOGIST .Request a Scan of your pelvic area keep asking Questions until you have peace of mind.Reading your post it sounds like you have had a good result from your original Ovarian Cancer so I hope you find some answers.Please let us know how it goes.
    my symptoms were as follows

Swollen Ankle

Needing to Pee more often

Clothes feeling tight round waist

pain in unrelated area above the waist

a general feeling something was not right so although it took many visits and tests I had to push for these until eventually I was sent to A&E where a Ct scan showed a mass.

It may seem like you are being a nuisance but sometimes it’s the only way to get answers.