Ovarian cancer

• 3 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi I recently had a full hysterectomy 7 weeks ago due to having a mass on one of my ovaries. When they did the surgery they found cancer but luckily was able to remove it. I am struggling a lot with my mental health as now at 36 years old I am going through menopause but also struggling with the fact that I will never be able to have kids. I know I am very lucky that they were able to get rid of the cancer but I feel like I am never going to get back to normal again. I am just wondering if there is anyone who has felt the same way as me? 

• I'm so sorry to read this.

Will you be requiring any further treatment such as chemo or any other therapy?

In the first instance, focus on your recovery from the surgery and also your GP who will probably be able to help with the menopause etc too. 

Charities such as Trekstock are really good at offering support and also Maggies - they have people trained to talk through how you're feeling etc, especially with the knowledge that you're sadly not going to be able to have kids.

• Hello lovely lady

Such a lot to deal with, so sorry.  I haven't been in that situation but my first thoughts are that your emotions will be significantly affected given you have been forced into menopause. Its a physical reaction, and then mentally you are trying to take on board the reality of your situation & what that means for you. 

Macmillan do offer free counselling sessions which you might find help you. Talking things through can bring more clarity to the huge change for you. Have you tried searching posts, as no doubt other women have felt exactly the same way as you & can offer you lots of advice & support.

Thank goodness your cancer was removed. So pleased on that front for you. 

Wishing you all the very best with your life ahead, which ever way it takes you. Maybe not what you expected or wanted but life has a way of working out xxx

• Hello, how understandable that you’re trying to come to terms with all this. Have you been given any HRT options? I hope you’ve been offered counselling, if not please do reach out to Macmillan. Grieving the loss of being able to have kids as well as your body trying to heal and the hormonal changes happening within will take time. There are charities and people who can help if you reach out.

Hugs

Marie x