Squamous cell ovarian dermoid

• 1 reply
  • 50 subscribers

Hi all,

I recently had surgery to remove a 12cm dermoid cyst. Sadly during surgery it ruptured under manipulation because it was attached to my bowel and pelvic wall via a small solid mass. My doctor sucked up most of the contents and took biopsies but left in the solid part since he thought it looked suspicious. 

The biopsies came back saying the cyst contains Squamous cell carcinoma. This is apparently very rare to occur in a cyst so I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced the same.

I am 20days post op and I am currently waiting for my case to be referred to an MDT team to find out what the treatment options are. I am scared things are moving too slowly and that the cancer could be spreading since the cyst ruptured. 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Gina

• Hello Gina   - I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through.  I don't have that type of cancer but thought I would reply to pass on my warmest wishes to you.   It is a really horrible time to be going through - I had similar worries as I waited for my surgery.  From GP appointment on 31st Jan - to surgery on 28th March - last year.  The fear I experienced was off the scale - any waiting, even just a day feels like a lifetime.   I totally get that.  I had that exact fear about my cancer spreading as I waited for surgery.  I am not sure what the answer is but it might be an idea to follow this up with your MacMillan Nurse - if you have been allocated to one?    I found my nurse to be amazing - always replies if I have a worry.   Also - you could try clicking on the 'Ask an Expert' bit at the top of the page on here.  I have done that a couple of times and had my mind put at ease (well as much as you can .....).   I hope someone else is able to reply and provide some reassurance for you. x