No diagnosis yet

• 6 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi, I I'm wondering how long it takes usually for a diagnosis?

My GP put me on a red flag referral for postmenopausal bleeding a couple of weeks before Christmas last year (Dec 23). I was sent to a private clinic mid January (via the NHS, I certainly couldn't afford it). The consultant there was very efficient and sent me for MRI scans etc.

I now know I have a suspicious 10cm cyst with a couple of solid components on my left ovary. As he's a gynea consultant rather than oncology he told me he'd finished with me and I'd be referred back to the health trust for a CT scan with a MDT. He said it was a red flag referral and I'd hear in 2 weeks....is this a new red flag? Am I starting over?

I've heard nothing yet, (it will be 2 weeks in 4 days), and feel in limbo as I don't have a name of a consultant in the health trust I can contact I don't even know what hospital it will be.

it's now getting on for over 12 weeks since my initial red flag referral, that might be normal but I think not knowing who to contact us making it very difficult for me.

I've been through the whole breast cancer journey 5 years ago but this time I feel I'm in a Kafa novel.

Has anyone any useful insight?

• I'm not sure I had post menopausal bleeding and I got my appointment within first week I think it depends what area and how busy the consultant are my advice is if U have got to have procedure ask for local anaesthetic as I tried with anaesthetic and it felt like I was having contractions with the local anaesthetic it was uncomfortable but tolerable.just thought I'd share my experience of samething

• Hi Audas, thanks for replying to me, it's not the most pleasant experience, getting hysteroscopy and the scans and  so on but it's been fine, are you at the getting treatment stage then? I thought at this stage I was closer to having a plan...this waiting is nightmarish. 

I went through breast cancer treatment five years ago; surgery, chemo, radio, herceptin, tamoxifen ...they threw the works at me. And that was like a highly efficient assembly line...I didn't have time to take a breath it all happened so quickly. They were dead straightforward - this is what you've got, this is what we'll do. This is very different.

Thank you for the advice, it is calming hearing from someone on the same sort of journey...good luck with it all.

• Sorry my was benign I joined groups because of my husband he has kidney cancer .I thought you hadn't had hysterectomy before 

• So sorry that you are waiting a long time, it’s horrible waiting. . My GP referred me to a gynaecologist after a scan who then referred for biopsy and then laparoscopy, it wasn’t until the results came through that I saw the oncologist to discuss treatment plan . Whole process took about 10 weeks,  although seemed a long time, something did happen each week. I’m wondering if it’s worth contacting the macmillian ask advice line , or ovacome helpline or chase up with the GP , I can understand that you must want to know what’s happening. Really hope you hear very soon, take care xx

• I'm sorry your going through this,  I have no advice other an be your own biggest advocate and keep chasing, via GP if you have no direct contact. I'm in a similar position (see profile bio) and now on wk 16 of waiting,  it's all the uncertainty feels like life is on hold, or I tear myself apart thinking I'm over thinking it all and it must all be OK. 

I have good and bad days with symptoms and it's the bad days that make me think about it all. I found an email on my nhs app under my last appointment with gyne, it was a generic email for outpatients on my invite message so I've emailed this asking for update.

I rightly or wrongly take to google to see if anyone else's journey has been the same, seems such a mix. I actually don't think this a helpful behaviour for me.

I'd go back to the GP ask them to seek clarity for you on your behalf, they may have access to shared systems like they do in my area and may be able to update you. 

Use the support lines via here for support, someone to talk to about how you are feeling and explore coping skills

Hope you get some answers soon x

• Well that is poop. I hope you get answers too! Update for me - I finally have an appointment for the 22nd April with a consultant. I think I did get lost down a black hole in the passover from their 'private pathway initiative ' back into the health trust, everybody is very cagey when I ask about it. Unfortunately I have to start over so the consultant wants a poke and prod before I go on another waiting list for a CT scan, who knows when treatment will actually start...

I hear on the news that the target is 62 days from red flag to treatment, I'm nearly double that with no treatment plan in sight. Do you think this is the norm now?