New diagnosis yesterday

• 15 replies
  • 54 subscribers

New to this this forum although I have used the forums before as my husband had stage 2 tonsil cancer in lockdown (has the all clear now) and found it in a way reassuring. Trying not to turn this into a monologue.

I've been bleeding since July last year (already gone thru menopause and too old to be having periods), had a total hysterectomy in Jan (one month ago so still off work recovering, sailed thru that and have healed really well) yesterday had follow up gyne...I knew, when you hear the sentence 'you can bring someone with you' as had heard that previously with hubby. Nothing picked up in earlier hysteroscopy (wow that is painful) but they biopsy everything when they do hysterectomy. Gynecologist advised rare ovarian cancer found in left ovary and small amount in uterus and has booked MRI & CT scan for thursday so he canHearts get it to team meeting before friday. I did enquire if it would be chemo and he said he thinks would be radio or hormone treatment as everything has been done backwards (hysterectomy has already been done)Hearts Don't know what stage as no results or oncology appointment yet. I have grown up children but myself and hubby have decided not tell them Heartsuntil after Monday as no treatments confirmed yet. Think the gynecologist was surprised I didn't break down and I listened intensely and had questions (but as I've said I've already been in this Heartssituation and hubby said when it was him as soon as he heard the word cancer he switched off from the rest of conversation, I used to take notes). I'll keep updating as the journey begins but for me personally the hardest bit is telling the kids.Hearts

• Don't know why it's inserted hearts..lol

• Hello Hun

I am so sorry you have had a diagnosis of cancer.   As I write this - it may be that your CT scan is today - Thursday?   I hope that goes ok for you.   I hate having CT scans.    It feels like you're at that stage of some uncertainty around future therapy / treatment but it also sounds like your team are right on the ball with it all.  Making sure you have the scan before they meet, so they can decide on next steps.  I too had a diagnosis of a rare OC (mucinous) around about this time last year.   In fact my GP call (after the scan) was on my partners birthday!   This year, we are hoping for a less eventful day!   I don't think there is a right and wrong in any sense when a diagnosis of cancer takes place - you just go with what feels right for you and your family.      You will get lots of support here.  Warm hugs are sent your way x

• Thank you for your nice words. What was your treatment? I've had MRI & CT done (wrong choice of music by me, so hard not to move to MJ whilst it's playing). Done the emotional bit, as I walked out of hospital last Monday met my neighbour outside by chance (who has terminal cancer) but that gave me the chance to let the tears flow. Resigned to the fact that this sort of diagnosis is similar to the emotions when you grieve. I'm very pragmatic so not angry I just tend to get on with whatever is thrown at me.Gyne main team at Hammersmith booked for next Monday, not looking forward to that but I have been writing down all my questions in prep. In hindsight the signals were all there, my GP sent me for physio at beginning of last year when I had constant backache (it didn't help) and then the bleeding started in summer. In limbo now till Monday. Told my son who still lives at home because the phone calls & appointments are blatant. Will tell daughters & sister after Monday. 

• Hi , I’m sorry about your diagnosis hun , it’s such a difficult time waiting for test results , wondering what the diagnosis is and what treatment will be. I was told just before Christmas I had ovarian cancer, and since then a biopsy and this week a laparoscopy to confirm type and treatment, hopefully I will know in the next couple of weeks. I have good days and bad days waiting for tests and results, just trying to take one day at a time helps. I hope you get the answers you need from your next appointment, Iots of kind people on here tell me once a treatment plan is in place it’s easier.  I take care of your self . Telling your children will be hard, sounds like you have a supportive family. Best wishes x
  • So appointment with MDT team on monday is cancelled, they called and don't need to see me and have referred me back to a different hospital?????Rose so Friday was a bit of a rollercoaster day, told in morning appointment was on (by reception I assume) and then call in afternoon from MDT to state no. My gyne's PA is lovely and she said she would call Monday afternoon to check in with me. And she seems quite open so I'm going to ask her for more details as to where/what next. She did say to me when I said I knew something wasn't right when she called me to arrange second gyne appointment that if I had asked she would have told me not going to be good news. Looking at to this maybe it should have been a blog rather than intital question. 

• Called gyne's PA regarding meeting of MDT. She had majority of report. Diagnosed stage 2a grade three ovarian sarcoma. No metastasis (still cannot pronounce the word). Now referred to Sarcoma team at Royal Marsden or UCL. More waiting, feeling tired, more mentally drained today. Told my daughters and sister. They have offered to go to any appointments with me (although hubby has already volunteered). Got to pop into work tomorrow as my sick note from hysterectomy ran out today. Don't know if GP is extending. This has definitely become a blog. 

• Hello Hun - sorry I have only just seen your reply to me and you did put a question in.   I had radical hysterectomy and then 4 weeks after that was given the diagnosis after histology.  Then 2 / 3 weeks after that I started 6 rounds of carboplatin.   It sounds like all your family know now - so hopefully, that will take that bit of pressure off you.   I hope your GP extends your sick note.  I was fortunate enough to be a home worker but I did wonder how ladies copied who had more physical jobs (I mean you cannot drive for 6 weeks).   I hope you are physically still recovering.   I had my first swim in over a year (yesterday).  I cannot tell you how good that felt!  x

• Received a great pamphlet today from Sarcoma UK (they have pamphlets on specific types of sarcomas). It is  gyne one, very informative.

• I think getting the right amount of knowledge at the right time in your journey - makes all the difference.   At first - I didn't want to know anything but I gradually started asking questions.   it sounds like a really good leaflet x

• Sorry to hear all you have gone through. Something stood out to me in reading your post that everything for you had been done "backwards" you said. Ive been a bit blindsided this week, had ultrasound raised ca125 bloods docs referri g me to gyny and is asking for a hystertomy as growth seen on right ovary, im happy to have it all removed cos my mum died of ovarian cancer. I just thought they would do a ct scan first, but my doc says due tomy age 56, family history etc they wont take any chances. May i ask why you had your hysterctomy first before they did other things

Amanda