Awaiting staging of cancer

• 4 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Hi I was rushed into hospital on 2nd March with severe abdominal pains. It was found after a CTScan that I had a mass of 11cms on my left ovary and 2 smaller ones on my right ovary. I had had no symptoms prior to the pain coming on. I was transferred to another hospital for an emergency operation where I had the masses removed , ovaries removed and 5 biopsies. 2 weeks later I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer as well as uterine cancer. I had further scans etc to see if the cancer showed anywhere else and luckily came back clear. Unfortunately due to the pandemic I was told that my next operation which would be a total abdominal hysterectomy would not be able to take place within the guidelines due to the backlog. I was too anxious to wait any longer than necessary for my next operation so decided to go private. I had my operation in just over a week after seeing the consultant and was very impressed with the service given . I am now awaiting the results from the second operation ( hysterectomy) to see what treatment I need next.I am recovering fine from both operations but got to say after my second one I suffered emotionally and felt like I was having “flashbacks “ from the night I took ill. Is this a normal reaction to such a difficult time?

• Hi there,

Being on such an emotional roller coaster as the OC journey is, it isn’t surprising that any of us get a wobble from time to time or, with things happening to us so fast, that we sometimes struggle mentally to keep pace with everything that’s happening physically. 

It’s great though that you’re making a good recovery from your ops, and I hope that once you have a plan in place for next steps you’ll feel more in control and able to move on from the flashbacks.

Wishing you all the best on your journey, and it’d be great to hear how you get on,

Bx

• Hi had my meeting with my consultant and was given good news under the circumstances. My uterine cancer has been graded as 1a and my ovarian cancer as 1c. They have been classed as two separate cancers. I think I have been extremely lucky regarding my ovarian cancer as often it is diagnosed at later stages and has spread elsewhere. I now realise that when the cyst burst and left me in terrible pain it possibly saved my life. I am now awaiting to hear from my MDT team to see if I need chemotherapy. If anybody reads this I think it gives hope to anyone who suspects ovarian cancer that and that there is hope if detected early of a full recovery. 

• Brilliant news - that despite having two different types of cancer, you managed to catch both at such an early stage. You must be so relieved !!

Wishing you all the best,

Bx

• Love the name,

Great to read your good news. Good luck with your ongoing treatment xxx

If the plan doesn't work, change the plan but never the goal!