Scan clear but still scared

• 1 reply
  • 37 subscribers

Hi, not sure if I'm looking for advice or just to vent as I have no-one I can talk to. I had stage 1 ovarian cancer about 4 years ago (germ cell tumour) - I was very lucky in that it was removed befSpeech balloone I knew I had cancer & I did't need any further treatment. Blood tests and scans have all been fine since then, although latest inhibins was raised and waiting for second check on inhibins levels. I've been experiencing reoccurring UTIs & pelvic pain for the last couple of months but latest CT was clear. However, I've just started having vaginal bleeding between periods - which has never happenSpeech balloon before, even when I had the previous ovarian cancer. I've scared myself reading through the symptoms of uterine cancer ( which I've read may be unlikely to be picked up in a CT) and it's turning almost into a checklist- severe periods, continuing pelvic pain, weeing more. I hate bothering people & feel like I'm being a hypochondriac so reluctant to go back to the consultant as I don't want to be wasting their time. Am I just doomsday thinking & reading too much into this? I Speech balloon thought so until I started bleeding.

Does anyone have any experience of having early stage ovarian cancer and later having uterine cancer? Would you mind sharing what your symptoms were? I know googling isn't helping & I'm just spiralling - the pain isn't severe but it is frequent & worrying - I've been putting down to possible IBS but also conscious that something just doesn't feel right in my body. Am I just putting two & two together and coming up with 20? 

• Hi  and welcome to the group.

I’m sorry to read you are having symptoms which are worrying you, despite a clear CT scan.

Although you mention recurring pain and utis for the past few months, the vaginal bleeding is a new symptom and I would definitely suggest seeing your doctor to get checked out. You are definitely not a hypochondriac, you are worried and need to have your mind put at rest. 

I would counsel against trying to diagnose anything from dr Google as that will not give you answers about your specific situation and is making you more anxious.

Can I ask if you are up to date with your cervical screening? Not that cervical screening would diagnose you but it’s one more piece of information which might be helpful.  

It seems you have  focused on uterine cancer from your symptoms, but there can be other reasons for bleeding, especially in younger women. The best thing you can do, honestly, is go back to your consultant and have the bleeding investigated. If there’s a simple reason, your mind will be put at rest, and if further investigation is needed you will get that. Either way, you know what is going on. 

I can’t share experience myself of having early ovarian cancer and then developing womb cancer as I had cervical cancer, so my symptoms were different, but it is sometimes not helpful to compare symptoms with others when you have no diagnosis as it can make you more concerned.

I hope you can see your doctor and that you’ll let us know how you’ll get on. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm