2 months on Olaparib and my CA125 has risen

• 4 replies
  • 40 subscribers

I started taking Olaparib about 2 months ago. The first month was pretty rough but the second month much better.

When I started Olaparib, my CA-125 was 19 about 5 weeks after my 6 rounds of chemo after being in remission for about 6 years (I had a relapse). I responded really well to the chemo (I am BRAC2) and I was put on Olaparib around mid December once my neutraphils came back up to an acceptable level.

I was tested for complete blood count in December, January and February and the results were quite good. I did have COVID in late November but I healed nicely.

I went to get tested for my CA-125 level this morning (they test every three months for the CA-125 and monthly for the routine blood work that includes CBC) and it had gone up to 43. I feel fine, my stomach is very flat and I do have energy. I don't understand what is going on. The nurse in charge of the PARP program is sending me for a scan but said it wasn't urgent so it might be in a month or so. I am so scared that I cannot think straight. They are keeping me on PARPs for the moment and gave me the option to wait or go ahead with the scan. Of course, I am taking the scan even if I have no symptoms.

She said that it could be a one off and it might come back down. She said that they might find nothing on the scan as well but the doctor ordered one. I am petrified.

My bowell movements are great as well but I have a lot of issues with eating fiber as I find it makes my bowells feel funny when I lie down. I can't tolerate the same type of food that I used to eat. I have a bit of back ache, hemorrhoid's and my private parts itch. I don't know what is normal or not anymore because of the PARPS.

Can anyone share their experiences on Olaparib. I really need a boost as I feel that I am losing my mind.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

It's always a very worrying time when tests show something different to what we were expecting. I'm not a member of this group but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

I've done a search in the group looking for other posts which mention Olaparib and found these for you to have a look through. You could contact the more recent posters to ask further questions about their experiences if you wanted to.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• You are still getting used to the olaparib. I was on it for several years and it took me AT LEAST 2 months to adjust to the side effects when I first started taking it. Which is why you can't really trust your own body feelings at the moment. However, you could lower the fibre content in your diet to give your bowels a rest? 

They are giving you a non-urgent scan which is what they do when either bloods or symptoms rear their head but nothing looks too worrying.  I think you are right to have the scan as you will just keep on worrying and making yourself miserable.

Now you have to sit it out. Easier said than done I know but what is for sure is that no amount of worry and speculation is going to change the scan result. Try to find some ways to distract yourself until you are heading in for those results. Good Luck!  

• Hi Bella Bee.  Many thanks.  Others have also mentioned the counselling so that is defo something to consider.  Best, Blue

• Hi Chanterellle

I'm new to this forum.  I have just started taking Olaparib 4 weeks ago, so early days for me.  Just saw Oncologist yesterday and he said all my bloods were OK, so let's hope everything stays good.  It must be very hard for you especially with the CA125 having increased.  Your 'Team' don't seem to be overly concerned so fingers crossed.  You mentioned that you had recently had covid, I have read somewhere that this can affect the markers as some patients have seen a ruse in ca125 after having had covid.  Maybe this is what has happened for you, let's hope so.  Fingers crossed.