Feeling frustrated with doctors

• 8 replies
  • 39 subscribers

If you would see my post from 5 months ago about a success story with my mum and them telling us and her that the cancer had completely gone.

Well since then my mum had 3 more chemos to finish up after surgery and was going today to get her chemo tablet. She just phoned me crying as she had spoke to the oncologist.

The oncologist told her that because the cancer was in her stomach lining that it WILL come back. She also said that the longest anyone has gone without the cancer coming back in 3 years.

This has left my mum devastated. I understand they need to be honest with patients but it seems like the information different doctors tell you sets you on a roller coaster of emotions.

One minute you are so happy and excited that the cancer is gone. Then they are giving you that sinking feeling by telling you that it will come back on 3 years max.

I don't understand why they can't say. The cancer can come back so you have to be watchful but if it does we can do chemo again which worked so well last time.

I don't see why they have to take away all hope with such  brutal statements.

Now I have to be strong and tell her that she beat it and she can beat the odds again. I saw a woman post on here who was 9 years cancer free afrer stage 3c ovarian cancer.

I just feel like the doctors should be more sympathetic to the emotions people will feel.

• Another issue. They have told her the chemo oral tablet needs to be delivered by courier and will come on either wed or Thurs and they won't be able to tell her when. It can only be given to her. So she has to spend 2 days a week waiting for a drug delivery and she works full time. So how can she be expected to live a normal life.

•  After my partners debulking surgery   the doctor rang and said all cancer had been removed and was a massive success    i was elated and spread the news   she was less impressed and thought  what

Obviously weeks we were told where it still was and facing 6 chemos  which still didn't remove  it, talk about roller coaster of emotions.  

• Yes. It's like they take turns to  build you up then shoot you down. I just feel so frustrated with the whole thing. It's like she can't just enjoy her life. They have to hang this over your head

• Sometimes I feel doctors do their jobs for so long they might forget how impactful what they say can be. They're so busy & overworked I feel sorry for them, I hope cancer services get more government funding. Sorry to hear about your experience, can't imagine how gut-wrenching it must be to get this news after such positivity. 

• The Doctors & nurses are certainly overstretched  but i feel with Ovarian cancer screening and testing is not good enough when it comes to women with a history of Gynaecology problems of getting immediately told you are in menopause when those telling signs "could" be Ovarian cancer  yes i would loved to see more money poured into research  but more than ever   early detection and more testing for women

• I am so sorry about what you and your mum have experienced.   I can only imagine how awful it must have been to go from feelings of elation - to feelings of complete anxiety about it coming back.     The two things that help keep my mind focussed are:    Think of the cancer as a chronic condition - if it flares up , it can hopefully be treated.   We are not a statistic - everyone is different and new treatments are coming online all of the time.    So try and focus on those things and regards the med delivery - it does feel very restrictive?   Could it be picked up from a pharmacy perhaps?   xx

• Hi thanks for your reply. No apparently it can't be left at a pharmacy. I don't know why but it's a flat no.

Really it hasn't been a big issue because she's only had the tablets for 4 weeks out of the 3 months she's stopped chemo.

They keep losing her bloods or not putting a code on them or stopping for Christmas for two weeks or now her platelets are low.

Really really not great system

• Ji

wow it does seem like tour

mum isn’t have the best time of it at all, after my big surgery I was told that they had got everything they could see and the last few cycles of chemo should mop up any microscopic cells, we were glad so far so good, but I was also told ovarian cancer will always recur as I was diagnosed aggressive stage 4, they just can’t say when as each person is different, I tried the maintenance drug but it made me really poorly and it came back last year, in Oct I was told it was stable, I am Now symptomatic again so just waiting for ct scan results so they can determine what chem I get next as it’s less than 6 months since chemo finished in sept 23

i would have to stamp my feet about meds being delivered they can’t expect you to sit in for 48 to accept delivery, don’t understand why they can be collected from hospital pharmacy tbh

hope everything is going well for you all just now

take care Pam xx