Reaction to chemotherapy

• 17 replies
  • 39 subscribers

I started my combo treatment this week but only after 3 minutes of the paclitaxel I had a terrible reaction so it was stopped immediately and given treatment . The second drug carboplatin started in the afternoon and all went ok . Has anyone else experienced this and also what alternatives were given to add to the carboplatin ? I see the oncologist next week for him to advise what next but would be good to hear what others were switched to from the paclitaxel . I have stage 4b cancer . 

• Hi Cranko

i too had a reaction to paclitaxol- i am stage 3c/4 - they changed my chemo to docetaxol and carboplatin  - apparently it is quite common to have a reaction to paclitaxol  - I have been NED for 3 years, so obviously the different drug worked as well ! They always have a plan b drug so don’t worry too much 

good luck with your treatment 

xx 

Janet 

• Thank you for your response by NED do you mean cancer free ? Did you have surgery after a few cycles ? 

• Hi

yes they say - ned- “no evidence of disease “ instead of remission nowadays- I was diagnosed at the beginning of lockdown so I had 6 chemos first, then surgery, finally 2 mop up chemos- then I did 2 years of the drug olaparib - all nhs treatment-  I think normally you have surgery half way thru chemo, but that changed during the pandemic- maybe they may have gone back to the old way now though 

xx 

Janet 

• Hi  I was exactly the same and had a reaction to the Paclitaxel  the first time they managed to give me a dose, but over a longer period. The second attempt I had a worse reaction so they decided to stop it all together, but continued with just the Carboplatin. I think someone else on here said think of it as a cake, the Carboplatin is the main part of the cake and the Paclitaxel is the icing, so try not to worry too much. I've had my 6 lots of Carboplatin now and seems to be heading in the right direction. As Audigirl52 said, there's always a plan b and probably c,d and so on. From speaking to consultants and other patients, the treatment is really based on each individual case. Good luck with the rest of your treatment!

• Thanks Janet and great news for you too I will hang onto your positive outcome . They have said hopefully 4 cycles then if shrunk enough surgery then maybe 2-3 more then possible trial on some medication all depends how it responds . I just want to get on with the new combination and beat this . Thank

you for answering . One other were the side effects of the new combo harsh ? Or manageable and when did they kick in ? X Gill 

• Hi Gill

I think everyone has different experiences with chemo, but it is doable- I describe it as “the hangover from hell” - after the first one, for 3-4 days I was quite ill - not sick,- they give you anti sickness pills , I went from constipation to diarrhoea, and very jaded - then from day 5 felt normal - this followed the same pattern for all courses so I knew what to expect and paced myself- i did start to loose my hair 2 weeks after 1st one though. 
    Hopefully you will get into a routine with it - its the fear of the unknown from that First one that’s the worst I think.

good luck and keep us posted 

xx 

Janet 

• I was diagnosed with stage 3c primary peritoneal cancer but it is treated the same as ovarian. I am  on these 2 drugs and should have my last session a week on Friday. My 2nd session I felt a bit unwell so they slowed the drip down and I managed through it. Sorry you cannot. My treatment was 3 rounds, operation then 3 more rounds of chemo. Each chemo session has taken me a bit longer to recover. I feel so sick for about a week after the session. My 5th round was postponed for 2 weeks because of my bloods so now instead of results before Christmas that will be the end of January . However at least the chemo will be finished by Christmas Fingers crossedand we can enjoy it with our family. I have been wearing a cool cap and although I have lost a little hair and it is thinner but it has been very successful and I liked the cold head. Good luck with your treatment.

• Thank you well positive news and you have the best Christmas , I have cycle 3 13 th December so hoping I will pick up and enjoy Christmas have a family get together on the 23 rd so again hoping I will be well enough to enjoy , I also assume I will have no hair by then , have not opted for the cold cap . Just waiting for  decision on my new combo drugs as the first treatment I had such a bad reaction