3c High Grade Serous Ovarian cancer success story

• 10 replies
  • 41 subscribers

Hi Everyone, i first posted on this forum a few months back, my mum was diagnosed with stage 3C Ovarian cancer. At the time i was so worried and was asking for success stories. I always said if we got some good news then id come back and post so others can take heart and hope. 

Without rehashing my old post, my mother had a cyst, they did tests, the blood test showed her protein levels were normal, the scan showed no cancer, the tumour markers were clear, so she believed she was going in for a hysterectomy as a precaution. When opened up the Doctor was shocked to see cancer all throughout her abdomen. He said it was like getting a dandylion and blowing it and little specks had gone everywhere. 

Since then my mum started chemo, we had no knowledge of how things were going as the DR said my mums got the type of ovarian cancer were that protein blood test just doesn't show up and for some reason it doesn't show under scan. So we had no gauge if the chemo was working. Due to the number of uk bank holidays in may her chemo was delayed and we all got a bit down. 

She spoke to two surgeons and they were lovely but they basically were preparing us for the worst, they were talking about survivability time, they were talking about opening her up and whatever stage she thought she had before was likely to be advanced as they look very thoroughly, they talked about a stoma bag and they talked about removing organs or parts of organs and maybe large intenstne etc. 

it was all very sad, but my mum stayed as positive as possible, though not overly religious we prayed every night and my mum changed to a completely healthy diet since she was diagnosed in Jan. no takeaways no processed food. I want to side track a bit and say once someone close to you gets cancer you realise how horrible it is and the Drs and Nurses and staff at Macmillan are so good,  but im struck by the number of predatory people, who try and offer miracle cures for 1-2k per month, i understand why people do it, but my thoughts on the people targeting cancer patients is probably another post in itself. 

So fast forward to just under 2 weeks ago. They took my mum in for a operation to put camera in and look around. as the blood test and scan didn't work,  it was the longest day of my life but the Dr told us after that the chemo had worked and basically all the cancer had disappeared, he said there were some small pin head size dots that needed lasered away, but they wanted to open her up fully to get a better look around in case they couldn't see some cancer in the camera.

Well she had that operation yesterday and the Dr phoned me when she was in recover, he told me she could not have had a better reaction to the chemo, that all of the cancer had basically melted away, there was some very small specks less than 1mm left and they lasered it away, they removed her omentum also, it had no cancer but if cancer returns that's a spot that attracts it. 

so basically my mum has 2 chemo left, the Doctor said there is no cancer there unless its a microscopic cells, but they lasered over her bowl and bladder etc to kill any that they couldn't see. the last 2 chemo should get rid of any other cells unseen by the eye. 

although this awful disease can always have a chance to come back, the advance in medicine progresses all the time. I just wanted to let others know that good stories do happen, i know when my mum was first diagnosed i looked and tried to find as many as i could. keep positive and healthy.

• Hello Lovemymum

Thank you so much for posting about your Mum's journey with ovarian cancer.

I am sure that it will give hope to other ladies and their families.

I am so pleased that Mum has had such a good response to her treatment and wish her well for her last 2 chemo treatments.

Thank you for sharing

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Lovelymum,

I had advanced Stage3 ovarian cancer, diagnosed two days before Christmas last year. I was 4800 on the tumour marker and the tumour was the size of a pat of butter!  3 sets of chemo, radical debalking surgery followed by another 3 rounds of chemo.  I am now on Avastin maintenance treatment until next summer. Result so far?  Tumour marker 18 two scans showing no signs of cancer. Quite a result thanks to marvellous Surgeons and Oncologists. What was on my side?  Fitness, daily walks, as much fresh food as possible and loads of water. But the most important part, is a positive mind. I do have off days due to funny side effects but I now ‘live the moment’ and rarely think farther than today. 

Just on another note, does anyone suffer from cold legs (internally) while on Avastin?  

• Hello Lovemymum

I am in a very similar situation as you as my Mum has just been diagnosed with Stage 3C OC. May I ask your lovely Mum’s age, my Mum is 83 and I am terribly worried about the effect chemo will have on her and her quality of life. She is currently asymptomatic and ironically otherwise very well.

• My mum is 58. But she really did not have any problems with chemo. About 3 days after chemo for 2 days she had flu like symptoms but then felt back to normal

• Thank you for sharing your story. My scan shows spread throughout abdomen, your mum success story gives me hope. 

• Please don't lose hope. Doctors give you so much ups and downs. We got positive news then told to expect bad news. It's a roller coaster 

I believe the key is to be positive even tho that's easier said than done. To be healthy we changed our whole diet 

Try to focus on yourself and have a mindset you will get through it. If on the heavier side like we were use it as motivation to be healthy we stopped take aways etc ate veggies and non processed and it works.

The chemo is so advanced if you do this you can get all the cancer removed. Any other questions let me know

• This was the same for my Mum too, all 4 quadrants affected and on abdominal wall and omentum. 3 cycles of chemo so far and she has just had another CT scan so we will see if there has been any reduction of the deposits. CA125 has come right down to 140 from 842 at the start. 

She found that reaching a place of acceptance of the disease and positivity about the treatment was a game changer. She is 83 and absolutely bossing the treatment. 

Don't lose hope (as LovemyMum said) we didn't think there were any avenues for us to explore with Mum.....there are. 

sending you hugs

• Thank you for your encouragement really appreciated. 

• This is so good to hear, thank you for sharing your mums story, 

• Hi whiskey Mac, my story is very similar to yours, stage 3C high grade serous carcinoma. I had an hysterectomy 27 years ago due to fibroids but an ovary was left behind to prevent menopause (age 32) . Started having horrific pain when opening bowels and was treat for constipation but something felt wrong so they did bloods which showed raised CA125 markers. Many scans, biopsy, appointments later and was started on chemotherapy, 3 sessions then I just had debulking surgery at St James Leeds where my remaining ovary, omentum and appendix were removed along with the tumours but couldn’t remove all the little seeds. I’m 2 weeks post op and waiting to start my last 3 chemo sessions.

I can’t deny I’m worried but reading your story gives me hope so thank you