Low haemoglobin on Niraparib

• 0 replies
  • 53 subscribers

Hi all

I was diagnosed with Stage 4 ovarian cancer in September 2022. Two operations and two cycles of chemo later (the first was only 4 out of the proposed 6 due to a infection that led to hospitalisation) I began on the maintenance treatment Niraparib. 

Increased blood pressure (never had any issues with my blood pressure previously) led to me begin on Amlodipine and my dose of Niraparib went down from 300mg to 200mg.

All seemed to have settled down but then a blood test showed that my haemoglobin level had dropped to 61g/L. I had a call from the chemo unit to go to A&E immediately for 2 units of blood via transfusion.

I have since had 2 further units of blood and my haemoglobin level has reached 96g/L (120 - 150 g/L is the normal haemoglobin range for women).

I am recommencing the Niraparib from Friday at a 100mg dose. Has anyone else on here experienced fatigue due to chemotherapy-induced anemia (CIA)? I was working from home and then working for 16 hours over 4 days prior to the CIA diagnosis. 

If so, how long did it take for energy levels to build back up? I am able to do stuff as long as I take rests in between but don't seem to yet be feeling as if I'm progressing to the higher sustained levels of energy that would allow me to go back to work. 

Any advice/accounts of how others have coped would be gratefully received.